Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Coil V8

Hi Guys
    My V8 gets very unhappy when warmed up, it keeps cutting out unless I keep the revs very high. I want to try a new coil as the first step, the current coil on the car is a Lucas 22C12, does anyone know the replacement part number for the 22C12 which no longer seems to be available.
    Martin

Re: Ignition Coil V8

Originally posted by martin.l.wilson View Post
    Hi Guys
    My V8 gets very unhappy when warmed up, it keeps cutting out unless I keep the revs very high. I want to try a new coil as the first step, the current coil on the car is a Lucas 22C12, does anyone know the replacement part number for the 22C12 which no longer seems to be available.
    Martin
    Which V8? Rover / 3.5? / carbs? / 3.9? / efi? Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
      Which V8? Rover / 3.5? / carbs? / 3.9? / efi? Peter.
      Thanks Peter.
      It's a 3.5 V8 Rover SDI Engine, with SU HIF Carbs. You may know the car, it is Cabrio No 1 built by Paul Moorehouse and featured in various magazines at the time.
      Martin

Comment

Hi Peter. Sounds more fuel related than electrical to me. What kind of fuel pump have you got? David

Comment

Hi Martin. I would suspect your fuel pump has had its day. If it's down on pressure / flow it will make vapour lock more likely.

If it isn't by the tank already put the new one down there so all the fuel line is pressurised which will eliminate any chance of vapour lock. Peter.

Comment

Thanks Chaps
            I think you may be correct, I'll get the pump off and try that. Martin

Comment

If the pump happens to be a Facet cylindrical type it has an internal filter which would be worth checking. The bottom unscrews half a turn. Just a thought.

Comment

My V6 Cabrio started acting up in similar fashion, it would start from cold and run OK with revs but as soon as you went to tick over it would cut out. The problem was traced to the electronic ignition unit in the distributor (Hall effect) breaking down when hot. Changed back to old fashioned points and it has worked perfectly since. Another though if you have that type of ignition fitted.

Comment

I've had a similar problem before and it was the condenser breaking down causing the points to spark when opening and closing. Worth checking/swapping before spending loads of money!
                  Gareth.

Comment

could be also an earthing problem from battery to chassis or more likely from engine to chassis / battery

is the coil mounted with good earth?

Comment

Hi Martin. If you have points ignition don't forget to also check the flexible earth lead between the moving contact plate and the distributor body!

If you have electronic ignition Rimmer Bros do a conversion kit which is a replacement ign amp module to mount away from the distributor and engine heat. It comes complete with extension lead and connecting plugs. I am on my second replacement one of this type! The symptoms that I had were a sudden misfire when accelerating hard so not quite the same symptoms as yours though.
                      Peter.
                      Last edited by greyV8pete; 25-06-15, 11:47 PM. Reason: "connecting" added for clarity

Comment

"is the coil mounted with good earth?"

Does a coil need earthing via the mounting?
                        Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Working...
                        X