Operation Tank Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Tank Replacement

I actually managed to get hold of an unused petrol tank courtesy of a former MoC so now I need to get on with stripping the back end of the Roadster down to get to the tank. I've started by painting the top of the new tank.

20150703_201437.jpg
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Operation Tank Replacement

If you have Marina/Smiths gauges and if the tank is unused why not think about getting a sump or bottom take-off fitted & drilling the top pickup for a Smiths sender - no more mismatch between Ford sender & Smiths gauges.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I've got a VDO guage and sender but it's still not accurate! Well stage one is complete. The back end of the car has been dismantled.

20150706_222757.jpg

20150706_222814.jpg

I'm going to repaint the chassis before I put the tub back on...

Comment

Chassis looks in good nick though. I found a bit of heavy flaking rust on mine (were the wing halves join, drivers side), massive amounts coming of but scraped, wire brushed and ham merited and it looks OK. Still lots of metal there!
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I remember talking to a NDT inspector in work about some rust scabs on pipework because they appeared to be quite big.

He told that the ratio of the height of the rust generated to the metal lost through corrosion to is about 5:1. So 5mm of rust = 1mm of steel lost

A bit of useful/useless information for you

Comment

Finished painting the chassis and the new tank is ready to go in tomorrow. I'm going to get stainless steel bolts having had to deal with siezed bolts.20150709_211807.jpg
            Attached Files
            Last edited by andyf; 09-07-15, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Didn't go do well today. Had to grind about 5mm off the rear flange to get it in then I found that none of the bolt holes lined up Grrrr! Going to have to drill new holes in the tank :-(

Comment

I've got her back together again :-) I decided not to fit the non-return valve in the breather and have run the pipe up and around the filler neck instead. I'm hoping that it will stop it spitting back while filling. I've just got to refit the trim across the back and fill her up!
                20150714_205411.jpg
                20150714_205418.jpg
                20150714_205439.jpg

Comment

Looks good

I assume that blue hose is a material suitable for petrol. Coolant hose usually silicone compound has limits wth petrol (see attached). Just checking I would hate to see you with an embarrasing puddle - and petrol at the price it is.

This is page 5 of our chemical compatibility and resistance chart of all popular rubber or elastomer materials. Use this chart to make sure your rubber or O-ring seal material is compatible with your environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
                    Looks good

I assume that blue hose is a material suitable for petrol. Coolant hose usually silicone compound has limits wth petrol (see attached). Just checking I would hate to see you with an embarrasing puddle - and petrol at the price it is.

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-5
                    Yes it is, thanks for asking though :-)

It took a lot of double checking to make sure that I was getting the right kind of hose! It's the red lining that makes it petrol proof apparently.

Comment

Thats EXACTLY the kind of info that needs to be in an archive LOL
                      I bodged mine with rad hose for the MOT.
                      Can,t sleep now...............

Comment

Working...
                      X