Bike carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike carbs

HI, just wondering If anybody has fitted bike carbs to a berli with a pinto.Im fancying the idea.

Re: Bike carbs

I'm involved with an oval racing formula that use the pinto. The rules are that the carb must be the standard twin choke from a Sierra although you are allowed to change the jets. These engines are around 180 hp so that proves that the standard carb is good for that amount of power. So unless you are going for more hp than that I would spend my money on other go faster bits.

Comment

Hi Andy,
      I know a member running bike carbs on a pinto in a Cabrio.
      Danny.

Comment

I think thirsty would probably sum it up. Side drafts sound great but they are difficult to keep in tune and they drink more than a standard carb.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi I run bike carbs on my Zetec and am getting on well with them I bought mine from danst engineering lots of interesting info on pros and cons on there web site and Dan is a nice chap to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            I think thirsty would probably sum it up. Side drafts sound great but they are difficult to keep in tune and they drink more than a standard carb.
            Im running the dgas carb at present ,having tried the 32 /36 carb which is slightly more economical.I find it lacks power and torque mid range.However the dgas also has better accelaration,and I prefer it.mpg is not great though.Ive had a maximum of 30mpg .....once, and as low as 17mpg around town.At 52 i'm no longer a boy racer. I've been Informed that Bike carbs stay in tune longer and are more economical, certainly compared to twin webers,due to high venturi speeds ,with sliding venturi design similar to su carb design ...provided you dont boot it .I am happy with my present performance ,but not the economy.

Comment

You could go EFi. Smooth power and economy when you want it. The Sierra Ford/Bosch system would fit.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I have put kawasaki ZZR 600 carbs on my Berlinetta , this was a kit from Danst engineering. I asked for the carbs to be as horizontal as possible and these fitted the bill. 36mm CV.

Easy to fit. just drilled the main jet adapted some push bike cables etc. Better starting, much better pick up with no flat spots, and marginally better mpg... and these havnt been

tuned in yet. Much much better than the 32/36 dgas that i had on there. I even use the existing mechanical fuel pump with just a regulator to take the pressure down to about

2.5psi.

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                  I have put kawasaki ZZR 600 carbs on my Berlinetta , this was a kit from Danst engineering. I asked for the carbs to be as horizontal as possible and these fitted the bill. 36mm CV.

Easy to fit. just drilled the main jet adapted some push bike cables etc. Better starting, much better pick up with no flat spots, and marginally better mpg... and these havnt been

tuned in yet. Much much better than the 32/36 dgas that i had on there. I even use the existing mechanical fuel pump with just a regulator to take the pressure down to about

2.5psi.
                  hi. just bought some bike carbs my self, same ones Ironically, didnt know until I brought them home, Id love to ring you to discuss at length.

Comment

How far do they stick out from the head? Just wondering if they'd fit under the roadster bonnet.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi Chaps I have some photos for you of the carbs my Berlinetta, I have Ram air foam filters which are easily fitted over the short trumpets. They do not touch the side of the bonnet flaps and have probably around 1 inch of clearance. Main jets were drilled to 160 (1.6mm) and i have blocked off the bottom idle jets to prevent popping on the over run but maybe this wont be required when i get them Tuned in,Ive yet to find a place near me to have a go at this. i think i raised the needles by an eight of an inch as well ( it was a while ago that i fitted them)phone 412.jpgphone 413.jpgphone 414.jpgphone 415.jpgphone 416.jpgphone 417.jpg

Comment

My bike carbs are zzr600 same as Jason's in a berlinetta . The closest they get is a hand thickness from the bonnet, plenty of room above but I had to lower the battery box. please see the pics100_1585.JPG100_1585.JPG100_1585.JPG100_1585.JPG

Comment

oops more pictures100_1569.JPG100_1572.JPG100_1573.JPG100_1573.JPG100_1584.JPG100_1585.JPG

Comment

Hmm, I have an EFi 2L Pinto, always fancied moving to carbs and this has wetted my appetite further.....
                            2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Working...
                            X