Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Marina Based Roadster Freshen Up

Hi
    About time I did an update with my recently bought Roadster which has started to recieve its health check and freshen up ready for an MOT

What had started out as some minor servicing and health checks quickly escalated.

First surprise find was the wire spoke wheel adapters were not right for the car and they were botched up, resulted in the stud holes being elongated and wheels not mounted true to the hubs.

To fix it we had some alignment adaptors machined up and drilled new mounting holes 90Deg out to the originals.

SDC14225.jpg

SDC14277.jpg

After that we stripped all the brakes, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals

New hard brake lines

New Steering Rack Gator

Pair of new spax shocks on the back

Trunion bushes and rubbers to be replaced also

The we got the next surprise, previous owner told me the head had already been converted for un-leaded, digging through the paperwork revealed yes the head had been rebuilt but as a standard head. We took the head off and found standard valve seats.

Bit of machining later and valves were lapped into their new hardened seats and head back on. While we had it in bits we swapped out water pump and thermostat for peace of mind.

SDC14279.jpg

SDC14281.jpg

SDC14298.jpg

Next jobs are install electronic ignition, get the engine running, balance and tune the carbs. Fit new front indicators, wire up front spot lights properly, tidy up some of the engine bay wiring that has Scotch Locks and badly made crimps everywhere, windscreen washer pump replaced, engine, gearbox and diff oil replaced, reweld some bad workmanship on the exhaust along with a newly fabricated mount and off for a MOT.

Last edited by hkp57; 13-08-15, 12:16 PM.

Re: 1973 Marina Based Roadster Freshen Up

Originally posted by hkp57 View Post
    Hi
    About time I did an update with my recently bought Roadster which has started to recieve its health check and freshen up ready for an MOT

What had started out as some minor servicing and health checks quickly escalated.

First surprise find was the wire spoke wheel adapters were not right for the car and they were botched up, resulted in the stud holes being elongated and wheels not mounted true to the hubs.

To fix it we had some alignment adaptors machined up and drilled new mounting holes 90Deg out to the originals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6760[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6761[/ATTACH]

After that we stripped all the brakes, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals

New hard brake lines

New Steering Rack Gator

Pair of new spax shocks on the back

Trunion bushes and rubbers to be replaced also

The we got the next surprise, previous owner told me the head had already been converted for un-leaded, digging through the paperwork revealed yes the head had been rebuilt but as a standard head. We took the head off and found standard valve seats.

Bit of machining later and valves were lapped into their new hardened seats and head back on. While we had it in bits we swapped out water pump and thermostat for peace of mind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6762[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6764[/ATTACH]

Next jobs are install electronic ignition, get the engine running, balance and tune the carbs. Fit new front indicators, wire up front spot lights properly, tidy up some of the engine bay wiring that has Scotch Locks and badly made crimps everywhere, windscreen washer pump replaced, engine, gearbox and diff oil replaced, reweld some bad workmanship on the exhaust along with a newly fabricated mount and off for a MOT.

Too late for the head, I would have had it ported, but not that important if you are not looking for more power.
    You don't mention the various bushes, especially the tie bar. If they are allowed to wear, both the bar a d the hole in the chassis can go oval. Easily cured but they make a big difference to handling.
    The rear shocks make a big difference as you are sitting in the axle, but I found it useful to go for Spax adjustables on the front as well.
    any electronic ignition will smooth out starting and power through the range. If you plan more power, Megajolt can be a way forward as it's almost infinitely adjustable.

Looking good though.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve
      Thanks for the feedback, the goal for now is to get her on the road and get some miles under our belt. We already have a seven type kit car for speed so this is more of a Sunday Cruiser.

Sometime in the future I plan a power train upgrade to enhance the lazy cruiser and toying with the idea of even a modern small turbo diesel. Not seen any diesels as yet.

Need to do a bit more reseach on gearing etc before we plan that one. Just want to get away from Pintos, Zetec's and type 9 gearboxes. See whats out there in Autobox land that would match up.
      Last edited by hkp57; 14-08-15, 08:48 AM.

Comment

How about a Mercedes SLK as a donor. Various sizes but a 1.8 Kompressor might well fit. But not without major surgery.
        The downside would be engine control and the Merc auto box.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Quick update

With the head back on there were a few little jobs to do, first was to swap out the rusted out front indicators, which leaves a hole and some of the original red paint on show.
          Considering its going to my mates body shop next that's no issue.

Next up was to change out the old steering wheel for a new one.

Final jobs before the MOT was the electronic distributer and balance the carbs. While under the bonnet it was noted the fan was controlled by a switch on the dash so that was also wipped out and replaced by a thormostatic fan controller.

Last edited by hkp57; 04-12-15, 05:10 PM.

Comment

MOT Passed today

Comment

Originally posted by hkp57 View Post
              MOT Passed today
              Well done!
              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Off to my mates Body shop now to get some TLC, there are some holes in the body where stuff was removed, some areas not that well finished in the paint so Davie will give it the once over before I give it to the wife .

Comment

Hi hkp57,
                    Lovely looking Roadster and lovely wheels. I am in the process of fitting wire wheels to my Roadster and I was wondering if you could tell me the size of your wheels and also the size of the tyres. I have gone for MGB 14" wheels with 175/65 tyres but I am having problems with the Offset. With this set up the tyres protrude outside of the running boards. Motor Wheel Services provided the centre splined hubs which are designed to fit a Kit Car but when fitted to the Marina front end the spacing is all wrong and there is too much stress being placed on the bearings.
                    Any info would be much appreciated.
                    Regards,
                    Chris

Comment

Hi Chris. Bogue, I have had wires on my roadster 13 inch Triumph Spitfire and bolt on hub splines. No problems encountered at all. Have to be honest I took them off after a few months I just did'nt like the look. Cheers Chris Holmes.

Comment

Chris Bouge
                        Unfortunatley I am back at work for a month so cant measure the offset, what I can tell you is they are 14" MGB wheels originally supplied by Rimmer Brothers, the only real issue we had was the ID of the bolt on adapters did not match the center of the hub so the bolts which had slightly over sized holes were doing all the work of transmitting drive and trying to center the wheels to the hubs, we took a light skim off the adapter to clean the back plate up then machined rings to go inside and align the adapters to the hubs.

After that we re-drilled new holes of the right diameter/

Comment

That's a very good point, Marina wheels are hub-centric. Many spacers and adapters are not, either for space or design issues.
                          The Marina particularly has wheel studs 4 x 3/8". Many modern cars are designed with 5 x 12mm studs, substantially stronger and more capable to transfer the torque, if they are designed to.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

The Painter has finished touching up the paint where it was a bit rough and the red was showing through in a few spots.

Its waxed up and ready to give to the Wife, she knows nothing about it yet so lets see how this goes.

Pictures dont do it justice though. Need to get it out in the sun after the snow has stopped for a photo shoot.

Comment

Excellent looking car.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X