Gearbox Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gearbox Swap

Nah, it's disappeared through a worm hole to the planet where missing parts go. It's probably holed up with the speedo cable circlip that I lost last year
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Or else check in the half empty cup of tea on the bench that you forgot to clear away! That's where I once found one of my spring clips! Peter.

Comment

Lol :d

Comment

It's a little known fact that every garage has its own black hole capable of swallowing anything from a washer to a wheel, its akin to the disappearing half of a pair of socks and that safe place you put things so you know where to find them, but when you do look for them they have disappeared. I don't suppose anyone has found 7 missing Stanley knives, they may pop up under a bench near you.

Comment

A very early Haynes manual for the Mini said for a gearbox strip down:
            "Carefully withdraw the synchro hub.
            <<New paragraph>>
            Be careful not to lose the three springs and ball bearings"

My dad had been doing woodwork and I found one of each which had shot down, the other pair went into the black hole.

Comment

Thank you Chris, confirmation of the garage black hole theory, and people said I was crazy!

Comment

My cousin managed to locate a replacement part so I went back this afternoon to try and finish it off. After a couple of hours work I bolted on the tail piece and the box locked up, no movement at all. We wasted another hour looking at it but can't figure out what's going on. Hopefully the guy that supplied the replacement spacer can shed some light on it. This has definitely not been easy!

Comment

How can I say this.... the spacer has made a reappearance, somehow it ended up the wrong side of the layshaft bearing. I have absolutely no idea how

Anyway the pro had it apart, sorted the problem and buttoned back up in about an hour, so now I've gat a working box ready to go back into the car

Comment

If it’s any consolation we all do odd things when the day is long. When installing my new coilovers I spent about an hour looking for one of the nuts that fitted onto the lower securing bolt. I eventually found it was on the end of the bolt all the time. When you look down under the wing you think you are seeing the coilover bolt when in fact you are looking at the end of the nearby pinch bolt! Doh!

Comment

That makes me feel better, thanks Peter

Comment

The box is back in the car and seems to be working just fine :-D the weather's been good so I've been out putting some shakedown miles on her.
                        20160924_134311.jpg

Comment

That's looking very special.
                          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Thanks, looks better in the photos than it does in the flesh. My next task is to repaint it.

Comment

Working...
                            X