Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wondered what your 0-60mph should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wondered what your 0-60mph should be?

Whilst looking around the net for acceleration I found this site:

Interesting what a Marlin might be capable of..........!!!!

Re: Ever wondered what your 0-60mph should be?

That's quite accurate.

My previous roadster was only 0.1 of a second off these figures.

Good one.

Adrian

Comment

my romero has a 160bhp engine and will weigh in at around 750kg, a 4.8s 0-60 might be entertaining!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
        my romero has a 160bhp engine and will weigh in at around 750kg, a 4.8s 0-60 might be entertaining!
        Remote controlled..?
        Add a driver to make it meaningful Cameron... makes it a shade over 5s.
        In my experience a full-bore takeoff with 160lb/ft torque & 160bhp through a leaf sprung rear is certainly "entertaining"..."directionally-challenged" might be another description.
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

An interesting gizmo, more related to production cars with an OBD2 connection is a PLX Kiwi.
          Paired with an iPhone or Android, you can extract all sorts of fun data including 0-60 times based on the phones accelerometer and GPS, but with vehicle sensors like the rev counter etc.
          Also useful for fault finding, when that engine management light comes on. rather than relying on a garage to do the job.
          Mine recently traced a fault on my steering angle sensor without having to pay main dealer prices
          Here and there
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

According to this site 0 to 60 six seconds for my 2,3 hunter The manufacturers spec was 6.5 to 60 I find both hard to believe as my Bmw has a o to 60 around 5.4 seconds and the Marlin seems very slow by comparison must be spinning the wheels a lot ?

Comment

Some years ago I estimated that my Roadster with a 2 litre Alfa engine delivering about 130bhp and weighing about 720kg would give a 0-60 time of around 6.5 secs. However, taking into account the aerodynamics of the car (or lack of?) I reckon that once you get to about 40mph the wind resistance really starts to take effect. I would be surprised if the actual time in my case is less than 7.5 secs. The power to weight ratio of a 2.3 Hunter is probably about 170bhp per ton whereas my Roadster would be about 180bhp per ton so I think a quoted time of 6 secs is a bit optimistic.

Comment

Don't know about my 0-60 but my Fiat Roadster on a "Run what you brung" at Portreath airfield run by a local m/c club in 2006 did the 1/4 mile in a best time of 14.37. with a terminal speed of just short of 100 mph.

Comment

I always thought that torque had a great deal to do with acceleration?

Comment

My ETB speedo has a 0-60 function. I tried it out a few days ago and got wheelspin in first on a damp road and did what I thought was a bit of a clumsy shift to second and recorded a time of 6.7

I think that on a dry road and with a good gear change I could get close to 6.0, but taking off in 1st with 4000rpm on the clock and feeding the clutch in quickly followed by nearly hitting max rpm in 1st and 2nd does seem a bit brutal.

Using the calculator with 150bhp and 900kg it estimates 5.7

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                      An interesting gizmo, more related to production cars with an OBD2 connection is a PLX Kiwi.
                      Paired with an iPhone or Android, you can extract all sorts of fun data including 0-60 times based on the phones accelerometer and GPS, but with vehicle sensors like the rev counter etc.
                      Also useful for fault finding, when that engine management light comes on. rather than relying on a garage to do the job.
                      Mine recently traced a fault on my steering angle sensor without having to pay main dealer prices
                      Here and there
                      I'd really like to understand that ) PLX Kiwi?
                      I have the android phone so half way there lol

Comment

Extending the topic a bit....Has anyone any experience of how the Cabrio handles at high speeds

I only acquired mine last year and wanted to change the timing belt and set the valve clearances before I opened her up ( 2.5 BMW M20)

I have therefore only had limited road time.
                        Lets say for the sake of legal issues that I had access to airfield space

I have had her up to about 105 with plenty of revs to spare once she was in top gear. However, at about 95 to 100 I felt everything go quite light and "unpositive " in the steering/roadholding area.

I baled out at that point being unfamiliar with the aerodynamic handling and cautious after the previous owners comments.

He said that he had never had it over about 75 but he thought that given the shape of the wings it could well become airborne if you took it too high.

Having vague recollections of Donald Campbell's fatal crash, and an even vaguer recollection of the BMW cars flipping at Le Mans of somewhere similar it seemed to make sense.

There is no ground effect without a floorpan. and there is nothing in the design to generate any downforce..quite the reverse.

Any high speed experiences for me to take into account?

In theory my car should have a maximum of around 130 -140 MPH given the HP and the gearing.

(Of course I would never dream of doing that on a public road............)

Comment

I'm not surprised it goes light at speed, the shape of the front wings is similar to aircraft wings in profile and will start to give lift.

Comment

On the question of lift, its worthwhile checking out the state of your coil overs. My TVR steering also used to go light accelerating past 80 and that was caused by the rear coils being old and loosing some of their stiffness allowing the back end to drop and the front to go light. A set of Eibach coils and Nitron shocks all round made it handle like a new car. An expensive option? Yes, but worth every penny in the change to the feel of the car. Didn't have wings like a Marlin though.

I always think the acceleration, handling and braking is more important than a high top speed with any car. Pick the right road and you can have a fine old time without going over circa 50 mph. Why would you need to go faster than 75 - 80? I know its always interesting to find out what the top speed is but aside from pub bragging rights and use on the autobahn what does it prove? Damn, I must be getting old saying that.
                            2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

It would be interesting to see the airflow over the vehicle in a wind tunnel [Any good model makers out there?]
                              I have only managed 90 mph in a roadster[indicated I hasten to add] and a true 90 in my last BMW based Cabrio before my nerves kicked in and common sense said no more. In both cases the front end no longer felt in contact with the tarmac.
                              I agree with previous comments that 75-80 is about all you can reasonably expect to achieve in a Cabrio given its aerodynamics or lack of.
                              The Sportster may be an altogether different animal, but I have only been fortunate to drive one on a single occasion and that was at around 50mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X