V8 Roadster rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Roadster rebuild

Thought I would add a thread to let peeps know how things are progressing.

Managed to get the whole project into the back of a long wheelbase transit, which was a challenge. Those of you who saw the advert on ebay will remember the car had already been stripped so most of the chunks were manageable but LWB chassis went in at an angle with the front wedged on the back of the cab support with 2 inches to spare.

Most of the work so far has been getting the chassis rolling on its suspension and trial fitting engine and gearbox, to find that the engine mounts that came with the car which had been done as part of the chassis repairs by previous owner were awful. Standard Sd1 mounts and gearbox hung on the tunnel and floor meant Engine was badly tilted (3 inches over the length of the rocker box). The prop shaft was at a very poor angle, and the engine was 3 inches proud of the bodywork. The original tunnel was huge and had quite severe stress cracking in the corners and on both bulkhead panels.

Have fabricated a new gearbox mount so loads are now supported by the chassis frame and new engine mounts to drop the motor down between the chassis legs so the motor fits under the standard bodywork as it should and rocker boxes are almost flat (1/4 inch) have kicked the motor slightly left to give a little more clearance for the starter motor housing.

Have started to fabricate floor supports, I know this will add a little weight but with a planned 200 HP I don’t think this will really affect performance too much.

Chassis now stripped back and ready for weld dressing and then paint.
    will add pics when I work out how.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lanciajohn; 02-11-15, 07:51 PM. Reason: add pics

Re: V8 Roadster rebuild

pics are easy - just give me an email and i will show you how

Comment

At last learned to use a photo editor.

As you can see from pics chassis has had 2 coats of por 15 and 1 of topcoat ready for final rub down and final colour.

On the mechanical side stripped back to bare chassis and have decided to start the mechanicals at the back. Axle cleaned up ready for 4 link set up.

4 link kit bought from Rally Design, fabricating 4 link mounts externally to outer frame rail and turrets in rear cross member gussets bit of work left to do
      but should give better axle location. Panhard rod was already in place. Might convert to rear discs Rally Design do the mounts at a reasonable price.

Comment

looks a good project - and nice pics too!

Comment

would love to see some pictures of the 4 bar link set up as thinking of going the same route myself !!!

Comment

still building it at the minute but should have it complete by the end of the weekend so will post some pics then

Comment

Look forward to seeing them cheers !!

Comment

Pics of 4 link set up haven't got as far as I'd hoped this weekend but all the main bits are at least tacked in place so you can see the layout. turrets fit comfortably under the rear bodywork and don't take much out of the luggage space. Front link brackets fit nicely under running boards with just a little converging of the links to give a little anti squat. Coilovers are 14 inch open which should give enough travel they are front units from a 7 replica that I had lying around will have to change the spring rate but will be good enough to get things set up. 4 link kit from rally design is excellent though have made my own front brackets.
                Attached Files

Comment

thanks - are they rods joints where they are adjustable ?? what strength springs are you using ??

Comment

rod joints come with the kit so can be adjusted for axle alignment and nose angle. Planning on using 150 lb springs initially then see how it goes.

Comment

I was thinking of leaving the springs on and the wheels as the rear set up is correct height - adding the 4 bar and panhard rod and coil overs and then remove the springs and hangers and then finish off he welding !!!

Comment

yeah pretty much what I did. With the chassis at the correct ride height placed axle stands under rear bumper used bits of ply to support at that height then removed the spring and shock assembly. Used the axle tube to front spring mounting hole as a datum measurement to keep it right. Turret is 4 inch piece of tube with 2 mm wall and a couple of pieces of 40mm angle for the bolting faces, braced it back to cross member to share the load. front brackets are 50mm square 3mm wall as the front bushes are 44mm across so they fit nicely added a bit of bracing there as well. I like a bit of belt and braces.

Comment

Working...
                        X