Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio rear disc brake noise

Another job to do!
    'Clacking' noise from what sounds like the N/S/R on strong application of brakes, similar sound to that which you would get on your bicycle when you stuck a playing card against the spokes. Anyone else experienced same? All fixings secure ,slight wear apparent on the sliding carrier pins but that's it!

Re: Cabrio rear disc brake noise

Not from discs but have you checked wheel nuts are tight? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
      Another job to do!
      'Clacking' noise from what sounds like the N/S/R on strong application of brakes, similar sound to that which you would get on your bicycle when you stuck a playing card against the spokes. Anyone else experienced same? All fixings secure ,slight wear apparent on the sliding carrier pins but that's it!
      Do you have ABS rings? Could something be chafing on them under hard braking?

Comment

No ABS Mike. Going to Sheldon in car today so will see if my passenger[better half!] has any input.
        Noise was present before I changed drive shafts so don't believe its something I've done. Cabrio done about 25000 miles before this became apparent approx. 2 weeks ago

Comment

Could be rust on the disc or part of the caliper that is just comming into contact with the disc as the pads wear.

Comment

I knew my hearing was bad but!!!!
            Seems the 'noise' was from the other end of the car as I've just discovered that the nearside engine mount has split along the welds . Looks like I'll need the services of a blacksmith or fabrication shop.
            {LWB Cabrio BMW M20}

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
              I knew my hearing was bad but!!!!
              Seems the 'noise' was from the other end of the car as I've just discovered that the nearside engine mount has split along the welds . Looks like I'll need the services of a blacksmith or fabrication shop.
              {LWB Cabrio BMW M20}
              So what was the ticking coming from - not a split engine mount?

Comment

Engine movement presumably Mike. I think as the metal started to open up the fracture the surfaces were fretting against each other much like a grasshopper rubs its wings against its body to produce a clicking. Initially couldn't see it until it had gone so far that the noise stopped! Interestingly it was worse on right hand turns no doubt to weight being transferred more to that mount/bracket.
                Have already had two offers of help through club members. What a fantastic club we have!!!!!!!!!! Thank you both.

Comment

Engine mounting now repaired courtesy of Doug and Liz Billings son and now back in vehicle. Took the opportunity to replace/rejig some of the coolant hoses at the same time as well as the side panel screws with thumbscrews in order to make access quicker.
                  I can now get on with polishing the sump!!!!!!!!

Comment

Excellent! Can you come and polish Bluebelle!

Comment

dogon - I'll check underneath with a mirror to see that you have !
                      Rgds DC

Comment

I have disk brakes all round on my YKC Roadster (Donor Sierra GLS) and the joints on the drive shafts are a bit bigger than on a standard Sierra - I think same as RS 4x4. Not long after I had finished the car and put it on the road I started to get a click from the rear end. I eventually tracked it down to one of the 6 cap head bolts on the NS. I hadn't tightened it properly and it had slowly undone until it got to the point where it was catching the bodywork. Having found it I think I tightened every nut and bolt on the car twice. It was interesting tracking it down - dangerous but it solved it. I put the rear end up on axle stands, chocked the front wheels, started the engine and stuck it in gear. Maybe your repaired engine mounts have changed the geometry slightly. I would look for scuffed metal work or bolt heads.

Comment

Working...
                        X