No announcement yet.

Chassis number (triumph marina hybrid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis number (triumph marina hybrid)

Hello everybody, recently i started the restoration of a marlin roadster, and now i'm wondering about some issues...

I have a (VIN you call it?) plate from a Triumph vitesse, the same as on the registration papers, being a triumph vitesse from 1967.
    however, the small riveted plate like found on other marlins has a marlin chassis number (1206 or something i believe).
    Now i cannot seem to locate the chassis number from the triumph anywhere.... and this is obligated to pass legislation, as otherwise, the car has no chassis number (except for the VIN plate) that match the paperwork.

Now if I was to hammer them in myself (if I couldn't locate them), where would i do this, next to the marlin's number plate, or somewhere else? (also, any idea of number size in mm's? )

Kind regards, en thanks a lot for any help!

Re: Chassis number (triumph marina hybrid)

There is no correct position for the vin number on a roadster but the authorities seem to like it on the chassis. But having said that the Vitesse had an alloy plate pop riveted to the nearside bulkhead. My sons car has the original Triumph number on a piece of ally punched and then glued to the bulkhead we used the normal punch sets available from tool suppliers . Or you could go posh and order a club vin plate from club goods but ideally they need engraving.

PS as the Triumph tech advisor I would be interested in knowing the details of your car for our records, if you can PM me would be grateful.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

These are good to use on a chassis..

Comment

by european law the chassis-number must be on the chassis. a plate screwed or riveted to the body or to the chassis is not ok.

the number should be on the right side, front of the chassis, prefered visible, accesable without climbing underneath the car.

@marlintom: are you in UK...as it sounds as you want to homolgate the car outside uk?

you can punch the vin into the chassis yourselves. but i recommend removing the other plate, which shows the marlin number. instead of that you can rivet a new plate (i use such universal ones from trailers), which you punch yourselves with manufacturer-name, date of 1st reg and VIN

theoretically the VIN in the car, as well as in the V5c should show the marlin-number as i guess that you have a marlin chassis underneath and not a triumph one?

by the way: most kitcars built in the 80ies / 90ies didnt come with a chassis-number stamped into the chassis.

Comment

talking to the FFVE here it appears vehicles built before a 30 year rolling deadline do not need the chassis stamping, suppose that will stop when the initial operative date of the EU reg that sportster green refers to arrives!
          the above gets you French regn without their strict gov inspections(ie for 'voitures de collection')!

Comment

are you sure the FFVE would accept a "triumph" V5c , even the car isnt a triumph?
            Last edited by Sportster-Green; 14-11-15, 02:41 PM.

Comment

If France is anything like Spain, it's better to be prepared for everything.

Comment

Working...
              X