Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa 1750 running in HELP

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on running in my rebuilt Alfa engine, especially ring sealing. It has new rings, mains, and big ends. The liners were honed and journals polished.
    My main problem is that I cannot drive the car as it has no MOT and is not likely to for a few months. I have read that it not advisable to run it in without some load on it, but then again I've read many things on this subject .

Thanks in advance.

Derek
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Re: Alfa 1750 running in HELP

Do not use any form of synthetic oil for a start - as it stops rings running in ... I would make sure that it does not overheat ,fan in front of the rad for added cooling - and then run it at 2000 revs for 10 mins - I would do that as often as you want and it should run in quite well .. that is how I have always run engines in - make sure the carbs are set correctly and ignition timing - I always set it at a reading for 3000 revs .. No doubt you will get more opinions - mine is based on 50 years of building engines !!

Comment

Having completely rebuilt a 1970's 2 litre Alfa twin cam a few years ago, for running in I just kept the revs down for the first 500 miles and just ensured it didn't get too hot and then gradually brought the revs up. I think the running in procedure is little more critical if you have installed new camshafts. Agree with not using synthetic oil - in fact I don't use it at all for older engines which were designed and built before synthetic oils were in common use. Also agree that ideally you want some load on the car but you could put a very small amount on by putting the back up on axle stands and running in top gear. Care required, obviously (and understanding neighbours!)

Comment

So thats 5 Alfa engined Marlins I know off included my old one from 1984 and the factory demo from the same year.. Anyone know how many are still left ???

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
          Do not use any form of synthetic oil for a start - as it stops rings running in ... I would make sure that it does not overheat ,fan in front of the rad for added cooling - and then run it at 2000 revs for 10 mins - I would do that as often as you want and it should run in quite well .. that is how I have always run engines in - make sure the carbs are set correctly and ignition timing - I always set it at a reading for 3000 revs .. No doubt you will get more opinions - mine is based on 50 years of building engines !!
          Thanks for all the replies.

The main thing a did pick up from that new fangled interweb was NOT to use synthetic oil for running in, so that is nice to have confirmed. I was unsure of which oil to use after that though. How soon do you recommend changing the oil and filter?

Comment

I don't suppose you can transport it somewhere where you can drive "off road" , running engine off load for periods of time is the biggest problem , even low load ... thats my experience testing diesels , most manufactures test them for 1 hour at 110% load to bed the bores in , stop oil by pass bore . Sorry making it more complex ,
            Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
            Thanks for all the replies.

The main thing a did pick up from that new fangled interweb was NOT to use synthetic oil for running in, so that is nice to have confirmed. I was unsure of which oil to use after that though. How soon do you recommend changing the oil and filter?

Comment

Usually after 500 miles then yearly or 5000 which is first !!

Comment

You only need to run it at 2000rpm for the first 20 minutes if it has new cams. Other than that just treat it gently for the first 500 miles gradually increasing the revs and load. Varied running speeds are a must to avoid elliptical bores! You can get running in oil which will help with the bedding in process. And don't forget the main reason for being gentle with it is to avoid doing damage if anything drops off ;-)
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Usually after 500 miles then yearly or 5000 which is first !!
                  Once a year then, Scotland with no roof

Not really anywhere local I can take it "off road" although I will give this some thought. I would imagine that it'll be a couple of weeks before the weather is good enough to drag the car out of my tiny garage and fit the lump.

Tempted by the wheels in the air 5th gear idea.

Comment

So thats 5 Alfa engined Marlins I know off included my old one from 1984 and the factory demo from the same year.. Anyone know how many are still left ???
                    Is that rhe red factory demo car? That's the one I test drove prior to purchasing mine, is there a pic in the gallery?
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Yes Paul built replaced the Marina engine with an Alfa one .. mine was the first actual one ordered for an Alfa engine and even though it was the Marina version, because he had no idea where the engine would go it was decided to fit the smaller Triumph bulkhead...

Comment

My car (CPY 301L) was original built with a 1.3 Marina engine in 1984 but I replaced it with a 2 litre Alfa lump in around 1997. There was quite a bit of re-engineering involved including modifying the tunnel and re-routing the steering column amongst others.

Comment

Brum Lives .

Managed to get her started after a lot head scratching. Full evening at it last night with no success. Car would try to start and then die when key was released. In the end it turned out that a new ballast resistor was the problem. Dead as a Dodo. Put the 12v through the 6v coil and bingo, off she went. Coil gets nice and warm though.
                          Decided to run her round the Crescent with no nose or bonnet etc. Will do this many times as I can before the neighbors complain or call the police. Not an ideal running in schedule but the best I can hope for.
                          Getting better with each circuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
                            Brum Lives .

Decided to run her round the Crescent with no nose or bonnet etc. Will do this many times as I can before the neighbors complain or call the police. Not an ideal running in schedule but the best I can hope for.
                            Getting better with each circuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            That's how I lost my license when I was a teenager before I really had one, Three endorsements no insurance, no L plates and no supervision and a £17. 10 shillings fine. Only the car at the time was a Renault 4cv with a Gordini sport engine,
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

What can I say, old habits die hard. Got caught when I was 15 driving my dads Triumph 2000 round the little dead end streets behind our flat.

On another note, engine sounds good but is still spitting back through both carbs with the occasional lick of flame! Running rough but when it clears its throat it fair takes off.

Any suggestions for this?

Comment

Working...
                              X