Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alfa 1750 running in HELP

is the ignition timing corect ??
    what have you set the mixture screws too ?? remember they work opposite to 'normal' down draft carbs !! screw them full in and then 3/4 turn and leave..
    Are the carbs balanced ??? you can get a proper tool for not a lot !!
    and get the correct coil and fit the wires the correct way round !!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
      What can I say, old habits die hard. Got caught when I was 15 driving my dads Triumph 2000 round the little dead end streets behind our flat.

On another note, engine sounds good but is still spitting back through both carbs with the occasional lick of flame! Running rough but when it clears its throat it fair takes off.

Any suggestions for this?
      Spitting back though the carbs is normally caused by weak mixture, I'm assuming being an alfa it has webers on if the idle mixture screws are incorrectly set it can cause spitting normally with a rough idle as well. there's lots of help on the net to help set them up they're pretty straight forward once you understand the basics

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
        I have set and rechecked the static timing, especially when it wouldn't start, the mixture screws are at 1 turn, I'll back them in 1/4. I have not balanced the carbs yet but will try that soon if I can get a smoother idle.
        New 12v coil is on order, ballast resistor in the bin, and new HT leads ordered as well as the other seem ok but are of unknown vintage.
        Stumbling around in the dark
        Marina based SWB roadster
        Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

For get the static timing - check it at around 2500 revs - should show it in the manual - with a timing light with adjustable setting !! if you cannot find it have a tuning book from 1976 which has it !!

Comment

Thanks for that, I do have a manual that shows both an F mark @ 800 - 900 rpm and an M at 4600! rpm. I will give this a go when the new coil and HT leads arrive. Hope I can get it to hold the revs steady though.
            Stumbling around in the dark
            Marina based SWB roadster
            Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Working...
            X