• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My roadster marlin n series of 2456

Hello
    My roadster marlin n series of 2456m and it is on that basis
    Thank you

Re: My roadster marlin n series of 2456

Hello jean - another member from France!

Comment

yes southern France Avignon

Comment

Chassis 2456 is likely to be an all Morris Marina donor car.
        It is impossible to tell exactly which Morris Marina the parts came from. Do you have any paperwork from the original builder.
        On your question regarding Brake Servo there are several choices, depending primarily on the engine and carburettor that you have.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

not document

Comment

the engine is spitfire 1300

Comment

Jean ! Are you sure its a Spitfire engine as your car is Marina based it is more likely to be a Marina 1300 "A" series engine. A photo of the engine will identify which engine you have.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben, am I right in thinking that the 1300 Spitfire did not have a brake servo as standard?

I agree that a Marina 1.3 seems more likely given the chassis number, the servo and single line brake master cylinder pictured in another thread, look Marina, but 3 different servos were fitted, principally different for 1.3 and 1.8 cars, so the engine size was of interest.

As the Marina servo and brake master cylinder are now very difficult to find as NOS items, and there are no quick swaps (apart from the Peugeot mod) so I would suggest having the whole assembly refurbished J&L Spares Export. This gets around the identification problems as well.

Pictures of the engine bay will help, as well as copies of any documentation, even the old V5 might give clues.

It's a shame, a few days ago I was close to Montpelier, about 75km from Avignon, not planning to take that 8 hour drive again anytime soon.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

All the small chassis Triumphs had the option of having a remote servo fitted (Girling Powerstop) by the Triumph agent although mostly on six cylinder cars.

This car has been converted to LHD so it is possible someone changed the engine to Triumph to move the manifolds and carbs out of the way. doubt it though!!

Comment

Yes I have seen that it has been converted to LHD but beneath the servo I can see what looks like an exhaust that exits in the standard Marina Roadster location above the chassis rail, and in the other I cannot see an exhaust pipe, though it may be under the car.
                    It all looks Marina, assuming that rarest of things a LHD Marina rack was fitted, but whatI can see of the front suspension it's Marina.
                    If it's a 1300 Marina donor, that narrows down the choice of servos, but it still needs replacing or refurbishing.

I hope the OP has checked the hydraulic braking system for leaks, and that the vacuum system is working, especially the check valve on the servo.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

here are the photos

Comment

IMG_0405.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0409 (1).jpgIMG_0410.jpg

Comment

Yes that's a BMC A series engine nominal capacity1275cc most likely from the Maria.

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                            Yes that's a BMC A series engine nominal capacity1275cc most likely from the Maria.
                            Yes. Definitely not a Spifire engine. The servo is probably Marina so the chances are it's a 37H7844.
                            I recommend having the servo and master cylinder refurbished by J&L Spares Export Ltd. no other cars use the same servo.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                            X