Handbrake Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake Help

Hi, today's woe is the handbrake. I have been pushing Brum in and out of the garage as required to work on her and lately I have been breaking my back.
    Quick check revealed OSR brake binding. I had a look at this and discovered the self adjuster had done its job to max and then jumped past the adjuster cog.
    A closer inspection revealed a large space between the handbrake lever and the shoe allowing the lever to move too far and push the adjuster arm beyond the cog.
    Checked nearside and it is the same. It seems to me that the lever should be touching the shoe with the handbrake off.
    Are the wrong shoes fitted or is there something missing. My workshop manual does not give a good enough diagram nor does google (yet).

I am trying to upload photos but I am being told I have exceeded my quota by 11.28 MB. Help with this also please.
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Re: Handbrake Help

That's the same message I got. Afraid I can't help with the handbrake issue as I have the manual adjusters.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Re uploading pics. See earlier post about work being done on the website at the moment. I got the same message and contacted Cameron and the advice is please be patient.

Comment

Paul Tegler's 1973 Triumph GT6 MKIII 'Big Red' restoration page with links to other triumph related information

s
        a
        me

s
        y
        s
        t
        e
        m
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Comment

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that link to post. The small H plate is indeed the part I must be missing. I looked a lot closer at the diagram in my workshop manual and noticed a part called a support plate that is missing.

Shopping time, POA on Earl Parts

Comment

Original Marina part number 37H 3075 Plate quadrant to shoe. Common to quite lot of car that use Lockheed/Girling brakes Gets left on the old shoes and doesn't come with the new ones.

Comment

100_0637.JPG100_0636.JPG
                Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                I have now fitted the H plate but when my handbrake is fully off there is a gap between the lever and the shoe. When the handbrake lever is operated enough to contact the shoe the adjustment lever moves past the cylinder and sticks there.
                I understand from above that when the brakes are fully adjusted that the adjustment lever will not return enough to catch a tooth, however my lever fails to return even after the first operation.

Comment

I had the same set up on my Mk 2 Cortina. First question, is that the correct wheel cylinder? Mine had far less of the piston protruding from the rubber boot. In fact my pistons were approximately 6mm lower than yours appear to be. If the piston was lower / shorter then it would allow the return springs to push the H plate firmly down against the end of the handbrake operating lever.

Once you have sorted that issue the best way to set up the handbrake is to disconnect both cables at the clevis pins. Then (with the drum on and secured with a couple of wheel nuts) fully ratchet up the brake adjusters by hand. Only then should you adjust the handbrake cable length. Adjust the cable length until the clevis pin just goes through the hole in the clevis. That is the only way I found to get the automatic adjusters to work properly. Also use copaslip grease between the ratchet wheel and the wheel cylinder.

Further thought! Is that the correct pull off spring or is it in the correct hole in the shoe or are the shoes correct? It looks pretty coil bound (i.e. closed) to me. If so it wont pull the shoe back onto the H plate. The piston looks as though it is too far out of the wheel cylinder too. Peter.
                  Last edited by greyV8pete; 21-11-15, 10:53 AM. Reason: Further thought added.

Comment

I agree with Peter about the wheel cylinder piston being high .....

It also looks to me that the sprung arm that actuates the ratchet may need a tweak
                    Last edited by b_caswell; 21-11-15, 02:32 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

I agree with Peter about the piston being too far out, I would suggest you measure the diameter of your drums, there are 2 diameters 229mm and 203mm if you do not have the right combination of wheel cylinders and shoes this may be the cause of your problem.
                      To add even more confusion I suggest you take a look at www.brakepart.co.uk and study the pages on Morris Marina it may help, but first I would measure the drum diameter, then see if you can move the piston back into the cylinder after you have completely disconnected the hand brake cable, it should also be the last thing to connect after fitting the drums and adjusting the brakes, having the year for your axle could help.
                      Like a lot of kit cars they are made up of whatever was handy or cheaper at the time, you might have to start with a clean slate.
                      Phil

p.s. forgot to mention, measure the diameter of the brake shoes in case someone fitted the smaller shoes (203) into the larger drum (229).
                      Last edited by philcoyle; 21-11-15, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I have just noticed that your back plates are upside down the wheel cylinder should be at the top. Can you post a pic the back of the back of the backplate and trunion.

Ignore this I thought it was a Mk1 with Triumph hubs.
                        Last edited by b_caswell; 21-11-15, 02:16 PM.

Comment

FWIW this was Q67 after drum removed, as found.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                            I have just noticed that your back plates are upside down the wheel cylinder should be at the top. Can you post a pic the back of the back of the backplate and trunion.
                            Thanks guys, lots to go with. The PO built up the brakes some time ago I believe and the car has never been on the road so who knows if the brake set up is correct. I have posted a back view of the back plate but it does look the same as my workshop manual, although the brake pipes may need swapping over.
                            Checking the manual I would agree that the return spring is in the wrong hole.
                            I will get the measuring tape out and check out all the other things suggested.100_0644.JPG

Comment

Ignore my comment about back plate upside down I thought it was Mk1 Triumph hub. Still scratching head Im afraid

Comment

Working...
                              X