Another Hello From Somerset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Hello From Somerset

I took ownership of my first kit car just over a week ago. It's a Marlin Roadster based on a 1978 1300 Marina. It has come from St Ives in Cornwall to me here in Burnham On Sea in Somerset, so at least it'll still be living by the sea! I've been doing some cleaning and a few little jobs so far and have been out for two short runs. The second one did reveal that the fuel gauge shows between a quarter and a half when in fact the tank is full of air, so that will need sorting. Luckily I had a spare can in the footwell this time. Over time, I'm hoping to improve the interior and if I think I have the skills to do it, I'd like to take the dashboard out and replace it with something a bit smarter and with a bit better layout. I've attached a photo to give an idea of how it looks, but hopefully I'll get some better ones later on.

Paul
    Attached Files

Re: Another Hello From Somerset

Welcome Paul.
    The fuel gauge issue is one which most of us with Marina gauges/Ford sender units have to come to terms with at some point.
    There are various cures:-
    - Live with it (you only ever run out once..!)
    - Fit a Smiths sender to the Ford tank pickup
    - Custom tank with Smiths sender fitted
    - Jiggery pokery with a resistor in the wiring
    - Tippex/tape on the gauge glass

Search the forum - there's plenty there.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Cheers lrr , I was going to ask the question myself, now I don't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
        Welcome Paul.
        The fuel gauge issue is one which most of us with Marina gauges/Ford sender units have to come to terms with at some point.
        There are various cures:-
        - Live with it (you only ever run out once..!)
        - Fit a Smiths sender to the Ford tank pickup
        - Custom tank with Smiths sender fitted
        - Jiggery pokery with a resistor in the wiring
        - Tippex/tape on the gauge glass

Search the forum - there's plenty there.
        Thanks for the advice. I guessed I wouldn't be the first person to get caught out with it, but great to know what my options are.

Comment

my old roadster had the smiths sender fitted to the ford pipe and was actually pretty accurate.

Comment

When I had roadsters I always had a spare can in the boot after we ran out a couple of times

Comment

Hello Paul, Your car looks good and I am glad to see you are enjoying it. We chatted at Shepton Mallet Show 2 weeks ago, mine was the red Roadster. Whatever you do, there will still be another improvement etc, just treat it as a "Fun" car. Welcome to the Club. David.

Comment

Thanks David. Funnily enough I bumped into a previous owner of your car when I took my leaking spare wheel into GH Tyres for repair. As they say, it's a small world. I enjoyed the show and appreciated the warm welcome I received on the Apple County stand. I'll be registering soon. Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Marlin ownership. If the fuel gauge issue really bugs you then there is a fix from CBS.
                  One-stop shop for Kit Car and Classic Car Parts, Kit Car repairs and painting. Tools and Accessories for the Kit Car and Classic Car Enthusiast.

I live near Bristol so maybe we will meet up one day. I am also a member of the Bristol Kit Car club http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php which is very active and meet every month at the avenue drivers club meeting in Queens Square Bristol. Take a look at the diversity of cars that turn up every second Sunday of the month.

Cheers
                  Jon
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon,
                    Thanks for the info on the gauge matcher - may well be the answer if I find I can't live with it as it is.
                    Looks like there are some really interesting cars that go to Queens Square. I'll keep the details and perhaps I'll come and join in when we're back into warmer weather!

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X