Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

46mm (1 13/16")...I'm in so much trouble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46mm (1 13/16")...I'm in so much trouble!

Only popped into the garage to measure the big nut on the triumph IV Spitfire engine crank pulley
    Then back in decided to pick up a pile of logs, then nicely delivered next to the wood burner in the sitting room ,
    Sadly I didn't take my "garage shoes" off and treaded a nice blob of old engine oil all across the (light brown) carpet .........
    in trouble ,
    happy ending .......use a whole days leave last friday to clean it up !!! Baking soda soak , dabbing and carpet cleaning machine , if it helps !

Anyway , my point is - best way to get this nut off?!?! , its been soaking (in more oil!) all weekend ?
    Assume my size is correct , I will purchase a socket . Will have to jam the crank somehow ?
    How stubborn are they ? Any tips ( I don,t at the momment own any impact tools )

Thanks all and , the moral of the story is .....
    Attached Files

Re: 46mm (1 13/16&quot...I'm in so much trouble!

I would go for a good fitting socket. (no play at all) with an extension tube on the bar to hold it under tension and give it good sharp hard tap with an heavy hammer,shock it loose. Failing that try good stilson wrench with the extension tube on that.Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-adEVjfWI Make sure you know which way the engine cranks over though as in video,good luck

Comment

A single start socket would be best.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

You are not going to have the joy of a starter motor if the engine is out of the car! But it's a trick I have used before.
        When you say soaking in oil, did you mean engine oil? My experience from years back was that most alleged penetrating oils cannot beat PlusGas and a little waiting time, sometimes days. There are other fluids available, but PlusGas has always been the one for me, since my apprenticeship days, taking large injection moulds apart.

I take it that it's a right hand thread!

It might be possible to bolt a bit of bar or angle between two head bolts, over a piston and bore, with a block of wood and some padding. That way preventing the piston from rising and therefore locking the crankshaft. A little vicious, but it would work. But plenty of PlusGas and time first.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Heat !

Comment

Hi

Many years ago I removed the same nut on a MkIII Spitfire by using a suitable spanner, wedging it against the chassis and operating the starter. Your picture suggests the sump is off so you need to fix the crank by wedging a piece of wood between the crank and the block. It's not a left hand thread. - I still have the spanner somewhere in the garage if you want to borrow it.

Regards

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
              Heat !
              I know we are specifically talking Trimph here, but most B Series engines had a rubber damper moulded into the pulley, so care must be taken with the use of heat.
              It does not appear to be true of this particular crank pulley, but the engine is definitely out of the car.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Plus Gas a good fitting socket or ring spanner, then a good smite with a bigish hammer on the end of the bolt will help crack the seal.

Comment

Cant see one in that pic but make sure there isn't a locking tab. Was originally tightened to 100lbs but one of the above suggestions should work biggest problem with the engine out is keeping it still.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks much all tactics appreciated . socket ordered on eBay today , back onto it friday I hope , Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X