YKC Style GRP side screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YKC Style GRP side screens

Anyone have ideas how the YKC type GRP rigid side screens mount up on a roadster and what fittings may be needed.

Trying to help an owner who has just got his roadster that came with the GRP side screens and needs to know how to fit them from scratch.

Pictures would help, any advice welcome.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: YKC Style GRP side screens

Hi Ben!
    The YKC Roadster A774 OJX I used to own had an early set of these side-screens.
    The screens had 2 long pins fitted to the lower lip of the GRP by means of bolts through a rectangular plate welded on the end.
    The idea was that the pins fitted into two tubes (also fitted with similar mounting plates) mounted downwards within the door cavity.
    Adjusting the fittings to enable the screens to slide in and out was a pain. In addition I lengthened the tubes to enable them to be better braced by attachment to the bottom of the doors rather than just the top.
    Even slight corrosion on the pins used to be a problem – I used to wipe them over with Vaseline!
    John

Comment

Ben
      Would this new member be Stuart Burbank as he has been in touch with me. We used to sail at the same club a few years back.
      I also had those screens on my roadster -fitting is as John has described. Will check to see if I have any photos.
      regards Alan

Comment

Hi Alan Yes he said you were friends so assumed he had asked you. I'm not sure if the screens fit to the door or open separately.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Any chance of a photo? Dave

Comment

IMCDB.org Go to complete list then to YKC Roadster .There's an image there of one with rigid sidesceens.

Comment

Here's one, but I'm not sure that this is the YKC version ? Sorry no time at moment to sort through for others
              Rgds DC
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dcunn; 27-11-15, 03:42 AM.

Comment

This is not the YKC side screen. This is the work of Mike Turpin. Quality job! The photo gallery YKC section, red car reg SUB shows the YKC item fitted. They were designed to fit to the door.
                click here
                Last edited by cameronfurnival; 27-11-15, 08:20 AM. Reason: link added

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, interesting concept. I like the opening quaterlight. At least you cane out.

Comment

Well spotted Danny.
                    Here are a few other views, I,m not sure that the YKC version was ever a success as it wasn't ridged enough. I designed mine with a bulge for your arm which had a steel frame within a fiberglass shell (incidentally this is/was the set of molds that another member borrowed and never returned!) anybody feeling guilty. Not an issue for me but other members are missing out.
                    The window frame is standard aluminium channel with a fabric slider (the same as they used in a mini) the top edge has the zip from the fabric side screens which retained on a safety clamp for emergency opening. Both the quarter lights open from a central dial on the dash operated by a rack and pinion device operating a steel piano wire.

door pannel.jpgpiano wire.jpgwindow.jpgzip.jpg
                    Last edited by Michael Turpin; 27-11-15, 07:06 PM.
                    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Very Nice looking roadster ( & doors)

Comment

Lovely job. In my last post what I meant to say was 'at last you can see out'

Comment

Hi Ben,

Did you get this problem solved in the end. I am sorry for the late reply but I have had some issues with my log in so I could not see the members only area. In the members only download section there is a set of fitting instructions for the YKC sidescreens. Strangely, they have been stored under mk1 triumph roadster rather than sierra roadster which may be why you could not find anything.

Jon
                          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Not sure why but I'm being blocked from opening this link??? "I dont have permission to access this page"
                            What's happening to the website please?
                            Thanks, Hugh.

Comment

Guess you're not on Santa's list this Christmas Hugh!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X