Heater matrix - Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater matrix - Hunter

I took my Hunter for its MOT and got a call from the garage late on Friday to say that it appeared the heater matrix was shot. It's a factory built car, so I called Marlin, but had to leave a message on the answerphone. As it's in the garage I can't take a look at it. The garage asked me what part was used in the build. I suggested that it was probably a Sierra part - any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thanks, John

Re: Heater matrix - Hunter

Probably is a Sierra. Try Applied Radiators, Stoke -on -Trent. Next day delivery. We changed ours recently.

Comment

Originally posted by jpmillington View Post
      I took my Hunter for its MOT and got a call from the garage late on Friday to say that it appeared the heater matrix was shot. It's a factory built car, so I called Marlin, but had to leave a message on the answerphone. As it's in the garage I can't take a look at it. The garage asked me what part was used in the build. I suggested that it was probably a Sierra part - any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thanks, John
      Depending on why your local garage has told you it is shot, it may be worthwhile removing the matrix and then flusing it through with the use of mains pressure water through a hose pipe from both directions. These small radiators are prone to filling up with ferrous oxide deposits (rust) which eventually bungs them up. Flushing it through several times may solve your problem at no cost at all.

Obviously if it leaks it may be best to simply replace radiator element.

As Liz has said it is almost certainly a Sierra heater.

Comment

A while ago I thought my heater matrix was shot, couple of friends working in the trade confirmed that I was probably correct.
        Whilst driving the heater would spit out water, rather than replace the heater matrix I decided to thoroughly flush the system once a week for three weeks, replace thermostat, radiator cap and old looking hoses to my delight it worked.
        If yours is doing the same it would be worthwhile doing the above before replacing the heater matrix, out of interest are the garage failing the car because of this or making it an advisory ?
        Regards
        Dave

Comment

Thanks everyone - my difficulty in doing anything myself is getting the car back home - especially without an MOT! As far as I know, they haven't failed it, as they've not done the MOT yet. They took it out for a pre-MOT run and apparently water was 'gushing everywhere'. The garage is trustworthy. I think I'll need to assume that it's a Sierra heater and proceed on that basis. Nothing from Marlin as yet - has anyone tried to contact them recently?

Comment

Never heard of a pre-MOT run before ???

Comment

My bad wording - they took it for a run to check something we were discussing

Comment

thats good to hear, as had a friend who took his Jensen Interceptor for an MOT, was taken for a pre MOT run by the mechanic and wrote it off !!!

Comment

I find it difficult to believe that a leaking radiator, of heater, is an MOT fail. Now off to read the current MOT regs to be sure.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If leaking water is the issue then it could be as simple as a hose connection to the matrix not being tight enough?

Comment

It's a Sierra heater assembly and therefore matrix.
                      I replaced mine by removing pipes ,2 screws that secure the matrix to the heater box and sliding the matrix out into the drivers footwell . Made slightly more difficult on mine as I have different pedal box to accommodate BMW powerplant etc so removed clutch pedal as well.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

If you are concerned about getting your Cabrio back from the garage after an MOT fail, I was advised it is legal to drive it home even after a failed MOT if it is to a garage to get the necessary repairs carried out to allow it to pass the MOT.

You can guess how I know....................... I had a steering wheel airbag go off, and despite replacing it with a good one, the Airbag Warning Light remained on - an MOT fail. We then determined it was due to the seatbelt pre-tensioner which had also been triggered.

So I was allowed to drive home, fit a replacement, and drive back to the garage to have the CEL turned off, and pass its MOT.

Comment

Hi - Will definitely be a Sierra matrix. Mine went - a pinhole appeared in the inlet pipe, very wet in passenger footwell. Got a genuine replacement off ebay for 38 pounds, then decided to improve cooling by adding additional heater matrices under front valance. Got two copy matrices for same price as one genuine matrix. The copies are brass rather than aluminium. Managed to repair the old matrix by aluminium welding, but not tested in earnest and still in the garage. Biggest problem is getting the old one out, as the heater is just about the first thing fitted in the build. In theory you need to go in from the top; I managed to get in from underneath, but it does entail taking the dashboard out and a lot of other stuff. Set aside some time for it!!! Dave

Comment

Dave, thanks for the tip. John

Comment

Working...
                              X