Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres for a Marlin Roadster

Hi

I am new to the website so hope I have done it right.

I bought a Marlin Roadster back in April, but it was in the process of one engine half out and a new one about to go in, so it was picked up by a flatbed loader and the rest of bits and pieces went in boxes. I took possession of it last week so I'm like an excited child with a new toy.

It now has a 1.6 fuel injection engine so is pretty quick. The mechanic who did it for me said the tyres were old, but not worn and very hard, making it ‘skittish’ on the road! He suggested I buy the cheapest tyres I could find as they would be soft and make it a bit more likely to stick to the road. I have no idea about these things so am hoping that one of you out there can advise me.
    The size of tyre on now is 185/70/13T ……… whatever that means.

My local tyre place has suggested one of the following –

Uniroyal - £58
    Conti - £76
    Firestone- £53
    Prices are per tyre and include fitting and VAT

Please get back to me with your ideas, either on here or email [email protected]

Thanks
    Fiona Millais
    Last edited by Fiona Millais; 23-12-15, 09:39 PM. Reason: added more words

Re: Tyres for a Marlin Roadster

Hi Fiona.
    Probably more important than the type of tyre is their pressure.
    I run my Roadster on 18psi and the handling is so much better. Anything above that the back end bounces about too much.
    There's plenty of advice to be found on Roadsters on this forum to help you.
    All the best
    Gareth.

Comment

A couple of years ago the rules on tyre labeling was changed. Each tyre now has the same label with a score for road noise, fuel economy and wet weather grip. This makes it much easier to compare different makes.

Comment

The best choice is Continental.

Uniroyal and Firestone are almost the same.

You can try the Falken Sincera (good japanese tyres - the porsche choice) probably the cheapest ones with high quality.

Comment

I had Falkens on mine and they worked well.

Comment

Do you know what the original donor car was. There were two different torsion bars fitted, the standard duty is 19mm dia.
            A Roadster is lighter than a Marina and the weight distribution is better balanced between front and rear, but it still means a stiff suspension is inevitable. Torsion bars used in Estate cars and commercials will result in an extremely harsh ride.

Much of the comfort comes from the tyre sidewall deflection, the reason why tyre pressures are generally around 20psi, but that will vary as the sidewalls are different from manufacturers to manufacturer. It is not really possible to specify a correct tyre manufacturer as even their carcass design changes from year to year so deflections will vary along with tread patterns etc. Almost any good quality 185/70/13 will do. Try different tyre pressures until you find a good compromise. As for speed rating you would be brave to get a Marlin beyond 80 mph.

I presume you have a Ford engine mated to a Type 9 style gearbox. Do you have fifth gear?
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I used to run Millie’s tyres at about 18psi because it seems to give the best ride and handling. I then discovered that the manufacturer specified 22psi minimum. Those tyres are long gone and so is that manufacturer. I also notice that at 18 psi tyre wear is uneven. So these days I tend to use about 22psi. Although Millie is a Cabrio I think that checking for even tyre wear is probably the best indicator for appropriate pressure on any car.
              Paul

Comment

Finding what suits your drive varies, but once found maybe you, as I did two years ago go all round with hydrogen filled tyres the advantages are better with no refilling,ever ,unless you feel they need to be. Whether ho,cold,wet,dry, Sat in traffic or booting along the pressures stay the same so you know when you hit the brake s what to expect, also tyre wear is more constant.Berli owner used even in the snow. I use 19 psi.
                Last edited by Alan B Gloucester; 26-12-15, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hydrogen? A puncture in one would certainly go with a bang!. I'm sure you meant Nitrogen.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Spell checker.doesn't alway's get it right ? Nitrogen was what it was meant to say, still it's Xmas & had a few. Cheers

Comment

Nitrogen filled tyres? Surely that's just a marketing ploy.
                      Most industrial air compressor systems are fitted with air dryers, so water in the air is a spurious argument. Yes nitrogen molecules are bigger than Oxygen but air has 70% nitrogen anyway, and you should check your tyres regularly anyway, not just for pressure, properly inflated tyres will reduce wear, whatever is in them.
                      But, the big question is, how do you get all the air and moisture out of a newly fitted tyre? Surely it has nowhere to go as there is only one fill valve and no empty valve?

Comment

Yes it is a pointless moneymaking ploy. From my working days, a 1degC temperature change at 3bar would give a pressure change of 15mb.Probably 7.5mb at 1.5bar. It would only remove moisture if the tyre was flushed several times. Pressurised and vented, Nitrogen is very dry so it will absorb moisture, but if you don't let it out it stays there. IMHO I doubt if many road drivers could tell the difference. But if you like it use it.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                          Yes it is a pointless moneymaking ploy. From my working days, a 1degC temperature change at 3bar would give a pressure change of 15mb.Probably 7.5mb at 1.5bar. It would only remove moisture if the tyre was flushed several times. Pressurised and vented, Nitrogen is very dry so it will absorb moisture, but if you don't let it out it stays there. IMHO I doubt if many road drivers could tell the difference. But if you like it use it.
                          I had some filled with nitrogen on my company car a while ago and it made no difference. I think Tiff came to the same conclusion.
                          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Sometimes technology used in race cars has a practical implication for road cars. ABS for example.

Other times, it's difficult if not impossible to see how the technology filters down, in this case to road tyres.
                            We change tyres at the drop of a hat. More concerned with economy, wet weather grip and noise, then what's actuall inside them, if it still meets manufacturers spec.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Thank you Gareth

Comment

Working...
                              X