X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sloppy wobbly clutch pedal

hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help / advise me on the following:
    The pedal box on my berli appears to have been built, as per the build manual ,with the nylon pedal bushes , plastic tube spacer and nylon pedal bushes also 2 pedal bushes inserted into the clutch pedal....one of which seems to be slightly chipped.
    Also a small piece of wood has been fitted to the side of the pedal box ,near the top ,for the pedal to slide across, I presume to stop side movement towards the brake pedal.
    However this still leaves the pedal wobbly.
    I dont think that the modification in the marlin modifications from the pitstop magazines will help as it is only simular to my afore mentioned piece of wood.
    I wish to have a metal spacer welded into the clutch pedal,same way as the brake pedal has been done.
    Has anyone done this, whats the best way,what size tube do I need, who could do this work? etc...... I live in sheffield.I can strip and rebuild the pedal box but cannot weld.

Re: sloppy wobbly clutch pedal

Sure can - I had same problem, but no wood...
    Took the whole assembly to my local car workshop and they 'found' a piece of tube the same internal diameter as the plastic 'bushes' external diameter (the ones that are in the pedal) The tube is cut to be the width of the plastic sleeve (that keeps the pedals apart) plus the clutch pedal. Ream/drill out the pedal pivot hole to accept the external diameter of the new tube. Weld / braise the tube 'through' the pedal (so the pedal sits over it) with the pedal at left edge of tube. Clean up, flick of spray paint, fit bushes, grease, assemble.

The pedals should look something like this and will remove 99% of wobble (depends how worn the bushes are)
    I had my pedals shortened at same time so my feet fit better.
    An used non-slip tape which is great.

Dave
    Attached Files

Comment

hi,
      Thanks Dave, that is just the type of thing I was thinking to do.Are the pedals easy to remove? if so armed with the pedal and the spacer,that would be the template for the work to be done,without taking in the complete assembly.What do you think?
      What do you think would be a reasonable price for this work?
      Just wondering if the bushes are a marlin or cortina items,if broken on removal.
      andy

Comment

That weld were it joins the spacer tube is critical so ensure welder I fully qualified and the design is substantial enough - if you have to stand on the breaks for an emergency stop then that weld will be under significant load (as the rest of the pedal forms a lever around the point of the clevis pin). Last thing you want is the break pedal failing just when you need it most.

Comment

I think i may have a sierra pedal box in the garage somewhere, if anyone wants it to do a bit of experimenting they are welcome to it.

Comment

Andy, you will find diagrams in Tech tips. Welded sleeve is in part 2, there is also a mod in part 1. Danny.

Comment

thank for the tip my clutch pedal pretty much now looks like yours.and is now fitting and working at the staggering cost of a fiver

Comment

Well done Andy, much better without that sideways swing! Whats next ? perhaps a rest set into the centre tunnel for the left foot?
                Danny.

Comment

Working...
                X