Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WANTED : Marina 1800 clutch operating arm !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WANTED : Marina 1800 clutch operating arm !

Thanks as usual guys, useful thoughts. I'm currently talking with a local friend who has (he thinks) an 1800 engine & box in his garage, believes it's Marina and not MGB so there's a ray of hope

Updates to follow in a day or three when I've been there.

According to the Marina Parts manual (Jan 1977 edition) the part number is 22G 1635

Rgds DC

Comment

Hi Dave. I will be at the Shepton Mallett autojumble on 14th Feb. If you haven't had any luck by then I will keep an eye open for one. Any idea what you would want to pay for one? Peter.

Comment

like this one..?

Comment

I too haven't seen this thread until now. I check the 'latest posts' section every day and it only appeared since this time yesterday morning. Sorry, not a criticism, just advising of a possible technical hitch.

I too had/have the same problem with my Marina 1800 clutch fork. Mine slipped off the pivot when I released the hydraulic pressure when changing the master cylinder seals, obviously due to a broken retaining spring. Steve and others kindly helped me to get it back in the correct position and the slave cylinder pressure has kept it in place ever since. Not ideal, I know, but if a replacement part is not found it doesn't need to keep you off the road.

I am changing my clutch before the Spring so I will, no doubt, find myself in a similar situation - gearbox out and nothing to hold the lever in place whilst I reassemble.
          Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

I looked into the hydraulic release bearings but they all seemed rather expensive, what solution did you use Phil?
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

a lot of them were based on the SAAB system as these were pretty cheap. They are all GM under the bonnet though so OPAL / VAUXHALL will do. Here are some examples on eBay for you.

Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

There is a scrapyard advertising all sorts of bits from a complete Marina on eBay. Maybe he would be happy to sell you just the fork or even the entire box for little money.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Andyf,
                  I have a ford type9 box and I used a Vauxhall Vectra concentric slave cylinder and master cylinder. A WORD OF WARNING, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, play with a concentric slave cylinder or pressurise it unless it is bolted down or be tempted to push the release bearing down against the spring, it isn't dangerous, but very expensive once the seals become dislodged and you cannot reposition them, this is the voice of experience talking (unfortunately).
                  If you fancy going down that route I can advise.
                  Phil

p.s. the bolt holes on concentric slaves are not all the same, as usual it depends on model specifics.
                  Last edited by philcoyle; 26-01-16, 01:36 PM.

Comment

When we developed the type 9 Marina conversion we decided against a concentric clutch.
                    i have some pics somewhere, will dig them out later.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Jon
                      I sent DC the details on the 'scrapper' earlier today.

Comment

More thanks guys. For now I'll stick with the standard route and continue towards a normal clutch - currently waiting for many email replies !
                        Cheers DC

Comment

Find your dream classic car from over 10,000 private adverts plus many more trade adverts on Europe's No 1 classic cars site. 100% F...

From another post about a Marlin kit I wandered onto Marina's (my 1s car in 1974) saw this guy was breaking several - thought of your clutch arm quest.

Comment

Here's an idea......
                            Take a look at this triumph clutch fork http://r.ebay.com/Si3rUr
                            Although the fork itself looks different to the Marina one the spring steel bit looks identical. You could simply drill out the rivets and replace.

Comment

Seems like this one is going to run and run !

I'm emailing the Triumph seller (thanks JC) and will telephone the Barby guy tomorrow (thanks AC)

Again, very grateful for everyone's input

DC

Comment

Thread closed !

At the Peak meet yesterday Peter Bailey said "Oh I've got one of those in my shed".......................as of today he hasn't got it any more !

Many thanks Peter, and again to all who have contributed on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X