Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa 1750 dipstick?

Hi,

I was filling my engine with oil for the first time after its rebuild today. I was too busy checking the level on the dipstick and I managed to put 8L in instead of the recommended 6.5L

My question is, do I have the correct dipstick as even with a 1.5L too much oil the level on the stick was only a few mm above the min line?

Could one of my fellow Alfa members please check the dimensions of their dipstick and let me know.

Update: Just found a site that states fill from rebuild is 7.16L, question stands though.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blue Marlin; 10-01-16, 10:06 PM. Reason: Update
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Re: Alfa 1750 dipstick?

Managed to find an answer to my question on alfabb. I do have the correct dipstick.

However the guy there didn't really get an answer to his question either. Why, as we have both done, does the dipstick not read max when the recommended amount oil or more has been put in the engine?????

Recommended amount or dipstick, that is the question.

Last edited by Blue Marlin; 10-01-16, 10:23 PM. Reason: Link added

Comment

If you havnt run the engine then the filter will still be empty. Some times you have to check the oil level only a minute or two after switching off. So when the engine has fully drained down it will appear to be slightly over full. The other thing is ! Is the engine sitting in the Marlin at the same aspect as in the donor.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben,

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the running! I did fill the filter before fitting. I have also given the engine a quick turn over, plugs out, and the temp oil light I had rigged up went out pretty quick.

Full start in the not too distant future I hope

Comment

I am not familiar with this engine but as a wild lateral thought are there different sumps that fit this engine?

Comment

Just found this link!

Scroll down to Engine Swaps and there is reference to a bigger sump!

Comment

I have a 2 litre ex GTV engine (116 series) in my Roadster but swapped the sump for a 105 type to improve ground clearance. I kept the original dipstick but the correct amount of oil reads much lower so I re marked the stick. I'll check the dimensions of the stick a bit later.

Comment

Not sure if this helps or confuses but I have just measured my dipstick (ref previous post). My dimensions are in brackets against yours as follows: 29 (34), 33 (30), 300 (236). My new 'max' mark as a result of the sump change is 15mm lower than that marked on the stick. Looks like there are various dipstick lengths and, if you have definitely put in the correct amount of oil, I would be inclined to think you have the wrong dipstick. I have never heard of anyone recommending that the engine is over filled with oil on first start up. When I re-built my engine it was recommended by Jim Kartalamakis, the recognised expert on power tuning Alfa engines, that you just add some cam oil or heavy gear oil mixed with molybdenum disulphide to the cam lobes and followers particularly if you have changed the camshafts or followers and don't let it idle for a couple of minutes after starting.

Comment

Hi I have checked mine 2 lt 105 engine 300 overall 34 to min then 30 to max hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

Found this on alfabb,

If you have the pre-mod 140mm (installed length) dipstick tube, the dipstick length from the top of the cap to the tip is 345mm, cap to MAX lineis 283mm and MAX to MIN lines is 32mm. If the post-mod 100mm dipstick tubeis installed, cap to tip is 305mm and cap to MAX is 243mm. The 32mm MAX to MIN dimension remains the same.

I have measured my dipstick tube and it is 140mm so I assume I should have the 345mm dipstick. This would move my min/max lines 40mm further into the sump. I now have the correct amount of oil in the sump and the oil is just on the min line. With the longer stick I would then be 7-8mm above the max. As the engine has not been run yet, only spun on the starter, I would assume the level will drop as the oil is spread around the engine.

Geoff, would be interested to know the length of your dipstick tube. 100mm perhaps?

Lovely mix of dipsticks out there though.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                      I have a 2 litre ex GTV engine (116 series) in my Roadster but swapped the sump for a 105 type to improve ground clearance. I kept the original dipstick but the correct amount of oil reads much lower so I re marked the stick. I'll check the dimensions of the stick a bit later.
                      105sump has less height but therefore is wider
                      116sump is much higher, but less wide
                      the dipstick reads the level, starting from the block.

7L in a less high, but wider sump will result into the same reading as a narrower, higher sump, as the level will be similar.

Comment

Hi I have gust read your request I have measured the tube and make it 82mm long from the crank case to top of tube my sump is the length and as wide as the engine

Comment

Working...
                        X