speedo sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo sensor

Today I've finally discovered why the tacho doesn't work.

The speedo sensor on the gearbox is missing....
    WP_20160112_15_12_48_Pro.jpg

Someone can help me?

I've tried to search it in internet but it seems impossible to find.
    Attached Files

Re: speedo sensor

Probably "speedometer" is most correct in english, in Italy we called it "rinvio contachilometri".

Do you know if is possibe to fit another one, not only a marina parts?

Also the cable is not there.

Probably someone of the previous owner had tried to adjust and forgot to re-fit the old speedometer at least to close the hole in the gearbox.

Comment

Many parts are the same as Triumph cars. I have sent you an email.

Comment

Hi Steve - please let us all know the answer to this question? Its interesting

Comment

Or you can do what I did - I went to Speedhut in USA and bought a GPS speedometer, so no cable, just a few electric wires. Not cheap at a few hundred dollars but it works great and was easy to fit.

Comment

If you are going to replace the speedo then it would be nice to make it similar to existing gauges. There are plenty of speedos available that use a magnetic pickup that can be placed on the differential/ propshaft/ wheel. I used https://www.etbinstruments.com/ as they make the speedo to your specification, you can choose bezel style and finish, background colour, legend colour and even the colour of the needle.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
              Hi Steve - please let us all know the answer to this question? Its interesting
              I was asked this question in a personal email, so I replied, in a personal email.

But since it's a Triumph derived Gearbox, all the parts to connect a speedo drive will be common to the Dolomite range as they used the same back axle ratios. So any Triumph parts dealer should be able to help.

It is difficult to comment on the Speedo Cable without knowing what the speedo fitted is, and what the cable end should look like and then what routing is decided, or all the other options. Suffice to say, something must fill the gearbox tail shaft speedo drive hole unless you want to risk losing oil.

The other part of the personal email was to include various documents from my archive, documents that are also in Cameron's possession.

Comment

Thanks a lot to everybody.

I've read the manual and I've searched in internet but it seems for me quite impossible to find the right pre-engaged speedometer, and it's also impossibile to find several different right parts to build it.

Probably I'll close the hole with a self-custom alu plate.

I'm not agree to change the original parts of the car, so I do not want to replace the Smiths tacho with a digital one, although it doesn't work.

Maybe the best option is to buy a removable gps speedo but in fact there are no plug to connect one of these gadget and I don't think is a good idea to connect it directly to the car battery.

Unfortunately it seems there are not gps speedometer with own recheargeable battery built in.

Do you know something more about this argument?

Comment

From what I can gather Spalama is missing the parts in this drawing. They will be identical to all Marina Gearboxes and many Triumph gearboxes, the only variation will be Part 27 which should be a 20 tooth orange gear, assuming he has a 3.63 Ratio axle.

They are bound to be spares out there somewhere.

Speedo drive parts.jpg

Once that is sorted is simply a case of getting a custom cable to suit his speedometer from Speedy Cables. I can't find my original cable spec so cant help on the length.

Anyone?
                  Last edited by stevejgreen; 29-01-16, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                    From what I can gather Spalama is missing the parts in this drawing. They will be identical to all Marina Gearboxes and many Triumph gearboxes, the only variation will be Part 27 which should be a 20 tooth orange gear, assuming he has a 3.36 ratio axle.

They are bound to be spares out there somewhere.

[ATTACH]7116[/ATTACH]

Once that is sorted is simply a case of getting a custom cable to suit his speedometer from Speedy Cables. I can't find my original cable spec so cant help on the length.

Anyone?
                    not only the same axle-ratio, also the same wheel / tyre size as the car where the speedo-drive comes from

Comment

Unless Spalama has all the other parts, including a speedo cable, the number of teeth on the pinion gear is quite academic. There are several different gears available offering approx 5% increments.
                      Since he has not been active on the forum for 10 days, and nobody here has offered the parts, I think we can safely assume that he is following his own path or traced the parts in Italy.

Comment

Hi to everybody.

Yed I do in the meanwhile some unseccessful research.

I've decided to close the hole in the gearbox to keep the car in safe condition.

Probably I'll go to a gps speedo in the future.

Comment

If you do go GPS as I did (I suspect from Speedhut as well) tell them the odometer reading in the order notes and they will set it on the speedo they send you. Also as its GPS no calibration involved. There dial, digits an bezel choices also mean you can match it reasonably to what you have for your other gauge. The GPS sensor is 10 times stronger than your typical sat nav so needle moves just like a regular speedo also the digital data screen in center will give you lap times, 0-60, compass direction, trip, etc - all of which you don't really need but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportster-Green View Post
                            if you want a "cheaper" GPS solution , but still an anlaogue instrument, you can buy this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-1...e-9acf2af80a65
                            That's a neat looking tool.

Comment

Working...
                            X