Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost Estimates - Greater than the sum of parts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost Estimates - Greater than the sum of parts ?

I got kindly give an old Roadster sales brochure from my Son this Christmas , inside was this (interesting ) cost break down , is that a Marlin document or someones own working , just shows how the sum of parts looked even back then .

IMAG0229.jpg

Re: Cost Estimates - Greater than the sum of parts ?

I would not say that this is a Marlin document, also I would say these costs are for a Berlinetta. Danny.

Comment

Its not for a roadster as it wouldn't need a boot lid handle. In 1987 the cost of my Marlin Roadster kit was £1207 plus £427 extras and the on the road cost was £2600 complete and painted.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Umm maybe a roadster owner thinking about going large then , Thanks , I wonder if he/she ever did & what actual costs ended up as

Comment

I first built my Berlinetta around the time that the costing is dated. I spent another thousand on mine so I would say it's pretty accurate. Now that I am restoring the same car I have kept a detailed note of the spending and it looks to be heading for about the same amount. One advantage, or disadvantage depending on how you look at it, is that a lot of the spending is spread over several months or years so you don't notice it so much.

Comment

Interesting figures. Among the paperwork I received when I bought my Roadster built in 1981 are the sales literature with prices.
            Marlin Body Chassis Unit:
            Triumph with rigid sides: £825
            Triumph with doors: £860
            Marina with doors only: £860
            Seats [bare glassfibre buckets to fit standard runners: £24 pair
            Tonneau cover: £25
            Hood frame: £35
            Hood: £35
            Side screens: £35 pair

A total of £1,060 which included VAT at 15%. A waiting list of 6 months !!!

Prices were increased after the 1st June, I do not know which year but the brochure says 6 years after original prototype was built!!!
            Quite a difference to the build cost of an up-to-date Marlin !!!! David.

Comment

My kit was originally supplied to a Mr Williams on 2nd August 1982

Body Chassis kit, Triumph with doors £946
              Tow Bar £12
              Hood Frame £24
              Hood £39
              Sidescreens £39
              Seats £26

Comment

Working...
              X