Stoneleigh 2016 - whats the routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoneleigh 2016 - whats the routine

I have seen Stoneleigh mentioned in many posts - I maybe able to make it this year (but its a bit tight on my planned permanent return to the UK from my job in Dresden so tying to decide how hard I push to get there) but wanted to know what the routine is - do many go, is there a best day, what happens, where do people stay - that kind of stuff.

I think my Marlin is now in good enough fettle to make it (touch wood). But it will be its longest run, so far longest is Woking to Goodwood.

Words of wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Re: Stoneleigh 2016 - whats the routine

Hi Alan
    Some of us arrive Sat afternoon and stay caravanning or camping till the Monday. Others arrive Sunday for the day and AGM. Last year we had most on the Sunday and fewer on the Monday. Best day dependent on weather. You can stay on site in hotel or local B&B's. Kit Car drivers normally get in free. regards Liz

Comment

I have to say that the current Stoneleigh website still refers to Sat 2 May, last years date, with the 2016 show around three months away, my confidence levels are low.
      Grosvenor Shows are clearly focusing on Quilting, and with the demise of Detling, Exeter, Newark, Malvern, Donington, and the November 2015 Brands Hatch, all last year, I have to ask, how long can Stoneleigh survive?
      I don't mean to be negative, but if I were to plan to attend, I would not be booking flights and hotel, if I were at risk of losing my deposit.

I hope it goes well, but I would be planning an alternative location for the AGM should it prove necessary.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The Stoneleigh web site states that the 2016 show is on Sunday 1st & Monday 2nd May. Camping is available from Saturday but they do seem to have that date wrong. I think they have used last years date for the Saturday (2nd)

Comment

Steve. The website is a bit misleading. The main panel shows last years details. Top right hand panel shows 2016 as Sun 1st and Mon 2nd May. Peter.

Stoneleigh 2016.jpg
          Last edited by greyV8pete; 27-01-16, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks all - just what I needed. It will be no investment just a case of telling my company I am leaving Germany last day of April rather than 6th May. I am going to go for it (get an extra week in the UK if it all goes pear shaped). Hopefully I can make it happen.

Hotel or tent will depend if my wife comes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
              Steve. The website is a bit misleading. The main panel shows last years details. Top right hand panel shows 2016 as Sun 1st and Mon 2nd May. Peter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7154[/ATTACH]
              That was my point. All they have changed on the website since last year is the banner headline kindly shown above. Everything else is the same. With the show around three months away, I would have thought that someone at Grosvenor would be looking hard at the organisation and detail and getting accurate publicity out, but in my sceptical eyes, they appear to have lost interest.

The same sort of thing happened around Newark Show when it was finally cancelled, primarily due to the weather, contractural issues and the down turn of the kIt car market. The previous years show details were altered, badly. Many thought the show was going to happen, but the information I had, suggested a last minute cancellation. Which is exactly what happened.

You would expect the dates for the KitCar Show to appear on the NAECStoneleigh website, but they don't. Maybe Grosvenor shows have not signed a contract with them yet.

Things may become clearer in the coming month. Draw your own conclusions before making travel plans.
              Last edited by stevejgreen; 28-01-16, 08:43 AM.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

For the prophets of doom I have made two simple phone calls:

Grosvenor have confirmed Stoneleigh Kit Car Show 2016 is definitely going ahead.

NAEC Showground Events have also confirmed the event is in their diary, and will add it to the website.

Please lets stick to what we know.

Comment

I stuck to what I could find on the Internet, without phoning the UK from Spain, something I would only have done if I was planning to attend myself, but at least the evidence I presented was enough to prompt someone, who will be going, to confirm that otherwise dubious information, gave the wrong impression.

I am actually pleased to be wrong. Hopefully the two organisations can get their acts together for the benefit of attendees and exhibitors alike.

I hope it all goes well.
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

OK so lets answer the rest of Alan's question. Quite a few of us arrive Saturday lunch time onwards and camp on the club pitch.
                    There is a hotel on site but not got details or Local B&B.
                    Sunday seems the most popular day and also MOC AGM in the Marquee.

Sorry Liz missed your post.
                    Last edited by b_caswell; 28-01-16, 02:49 PM.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

There has always been a good display of Marlin cars at Stoneleigh, and this will still be where there will be the most number of Marlins to be seen together.
                      Stoneleigh is the only real kit car show left at present, and is worth a visit ( more so if you have never been ) There is a good display of a wide range of kit cars.
                      So while this show is still on the calendar we should give our support and display our cars. Alan I am certain you will enjoy the experience.

Comment

If I can line up all the ducks I will be there - again thanks for feedback (I had in my mind it was the biggest gathering)

Comment

Looking at the front page of our website I see there is just one month to go till Stoneleigh. This year will be my last as a committee member as I step aside owing to other commitments. Should anyone wish to take over as the person who keeps the forum and site going, or are interested in doing just part/some of the work (its actually very easy) please drop me a line and I can explain how it all works. I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this work and would love to be able to keep on doing so but I just can't dedicate the time to it anymore. Modern technologies mean that there isn't half the work there used to be and its all set up so it wont break if you do something wrong, plus there will be continued support from me if required and the company who do all the technical stuff are absolutely first class and will support where needed too.

I look forward to meeting you all there - this year is the 25th anniversary of the Cabrio so hopefully there will be an even greater turn out than usual to celebrate.
                          I'm not sure that my Berli will be painted by then but I will try my hardest to arrive for once in the right car.

For members who have never attended - make this year the one that you do! Its a great show and we are one of the biggest clubs with the biggest number of cars on display. Just turn up (entrance is free for kit car drivers and kids) and come and have a chat with fellow club members on the stand. If you wish to stay for our AGM you will be most welcome of course. If any newer (or older) members wish to ask questions about protocol or getting something on the agenda drop me or one of the committee members a message and we will help you out.
                          See you there!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                            Should anyone wish to take over as the person who keeps the forum and site going, or are interested in doing just part/some of the work (its actually very easy) please drop me a line and I can explain how it all works. I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this work and would love to be able to keep on doing so but I just can't dedicate the time to it anymore. Modern technologies mean that there isn't half the work there used to be and its all set up so it wont break if you do something wrong, plus there will be continued support from me if required and the company who do all the technical stuff are absolutely first class and will support where needed too.

For members who have never attended -
                            I presume my absence from the AGM, 1500km away, will exclude me from participation, yet again.
                            Modern Technologies mean that you no longer have to appear in person to be able to contribute to the MOC infrastucture.
                            I look forward to the day when Club Members can elect their representatives without having to attend.
                            Only around 10% of members attend. Amongst the remaining 90% there will be people Will have the resources, time, incentive and skill, but they like me will be excluded.
                            Can the club continue ignoring the 90% of its resource?
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

You would have my vote Steve. Definitely .

Comment

Working...
                              X