Stoneleigh 2016 - whats the routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stoneleigh 2016 - whats the routine

Its a catch 22 though. for a change like this the constitution would have to be altered, that's not a problem in itself except that in line with every other organisation and club in the world it would have to done with the members approval at an AGM. There are roughly 200 members use the forum so the key is to get the message out to attend the AGM and make the changes which will benefit the club's future. The clear assumption (and its a globally recognised one) is that if members don't attend an AGM its because they are satisfied with the decisions being made on their behalf - it was ever thus. Moreover, the committee can only react to the things people ask of them and so it really important to be active if you want change.
    Its not that people are excluded its that they choose not to attend, for most that's fine (because we all have different demands placed on us) but if you want to get involved you have to be prepared to give up a small amount of time - committee members only meet twice a year and then again after the AGM so its hardly onerous, they travel the length and breadth of the country to get to the meetings so no-one should feel that geography excludes them (except maybe our members in the USA, Canada and Australia!). Most of the discussions are now carried out by email and the use of modern technologies is increasing so if you want to get involved there has never been a better time.

I'm not having a rant, I think our committee has done an amazing job and I want new people to join in and get active in promoting the club. I have to say that the committees I have worked with over the last four years have been without exception, dedicated and committed to the club and I am sorry I am having to step away.

Comment

can we, distant members, not elect proxies to vote on our behalf at an agm? here in france this situation is acceptable for all clubs!

Comment

At the moment that is not allowed: should members wish this change to be made then it will have to be ratified at the AGM. Now this is another catch 22 as the ones it most affects may not feel they can attend (hence the requirement for proxy voting) - so what would be a solution in this sort of case would be for someone to write to the chair and he will address it with the members present at the AGM. If 75% agree then it will be actioned. You can write a detailed argument outlining how it would work and it will be read out fully and without bias.

Following on from Steve's comments earlier though, the issues surrounding postal ballots have been discussed several times and at the moment it is felt that the cost is the prohibiting factor. That is not to say it wont always be thus and as we adopt better systems this may well be something that happens in the future. We just aren't there yet. We are a proactive team and have introduced a good level of IT support for club members, but it has had to be done steadily and at a much slower pace than some members expected - that's because even if we outsource IT someone still has to have oversight and as we don't have unlimited time - this has necessitated a slower rate of progress than some would have liked (and I include myself there). The cost of our IT systems has been minimal with due thought for member's subs.

At the moment we are (still) rolling out a new membership system that allows members to pay electronically or by any other means they prefer, they can update their own details, pay in advance, add details of their cars and have a seamless integration with the website forum (so there's only one login) where they can upload photos, videos, articles, create their own gallery, send private messages, emails, and generally be part of one of the largest single-make kit car forums in the UK if not the world. Plans are afoot for online purchases of club goods. Committee members are working hard to track down ownership of documents we don't have copyright permission for so we can publish them, we have a brilliant magazine which also appears online in pdf form and can be produced in any format members require (they only have to ask). We have appeared three times in National car press in the last few months. I believe we are already meeting all the demands of the membership but if you think different then you have only to let us know.
        So the upshot is that anything is possible - it just needs one person to start the ball rolling

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
          Its a catch 22 though. for a change like this the constitution would have to be altered, that's not a problem in itself except that in line with every other organisation and club in the world it would have to done with the members approval at an AGM.
          That raises several questions.

1. The constitution used to be available online, but I can't seem to find it, has it been removed?
          2. Where specifically does it say in the constitution that Members 'must' attend the AGM to vote? I have never read the phrase.
          3. The committee are totally within their rights to make propositions at the AGM, rather than ask questions. A proposition that the committee is minded to accept votes from non attendees, is very different from asking attendees what their opinion is!
          4. These points have been raised before, and like PayPal, will continue to be raised. Change is inevitable.
          5. Of the 200 active forum users, about 25% will attend the AGM. That leaves about 400 members who play no active part in the clubs activities. That does not mean they approve, they are the silent majority who either don't care, or cannot envision any changes being implemented.
          6. There is an intrinsic cost to attending the AGM. For me transport costs would be in excess of £500. I would rather donate that to club funds, for a very specific purpose, than spend two days travelling. Any suggestions? [This offer has been withdrawn as no interest was shown, 4/5/2016]
          6. Technology: My guess is that the younger members, those with families and mortgages, are actually those who are technologically familiar, but, costs and family demands make attending an AGM a non-starter.
          7. Foreign resident members: There seems to be an increasing number of foreign owners, much to the chagrin of a few who think Marlins should stay in the UK. These foreign owners actually need a far greater amount of support than UK owners. That support comes via the forum, you don't need to be an MOC member to get support, but by definition, like me, they will inevitably never attend an AGM
          8. With reference to point 7, the Committee unilaterally decided to discontinue the formal recognition of Type Specific representatives. I find that decision totally counter productive, and suggest that the Committee formally recognise the the 'de facto' position I have held since the resignation of Adrian Bull. Or am I denied that position because I will not be attending the AGM. Strange indeed as there will be no other candidates, and it's a non executive position, not requiring an election.

postal votes were not mentioned. We have a forum that can do the job even better, one vote per forum user. Easily checked.
          Last edited by stevejgreen; 04-05-16, 11:08 AM.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The technology to broadcast, view and interact in real time is already in use. I have an app on my phone called periscope which I frequently use to view sporting events that I am unable to attend. It would be simple to broadcast the AGM live if that was the will of the members. Of course there will be legal and constitutional issues to address.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              That raises several questions.

1. The constitution used to be available online, but I can't seem to find it, has it been removed?
              2. Where specifically does it say in the constitution that Members 'must' attend the AGM to vote? I have never read the phrase.
              3. The committee are totally within their rights to make propositions at the AGM, rather than ask questions. A proposition that the committee is minded to accept votes from non attendees, is very different from asking attendees what their opinion is!
              4. These points have been raised before, and like PayPal, will continue to be raised. Change is inevitable.
              5. Of the 200 active forum users, about 25% will attend the AGM. That leaves about 400 members who play no active part in the clubs activities. That does not mean they approve, they are the silent majority who either don't care, or cannot envision any changes being implemented.
              6. There is an intrinsic cost to attending the AGM. For me transport costs would be in excess of £500. I would rather donate that to club funds, for a very specific purpose, than spend two days travelling. Any suggestions?
              6. Technology: My guess is that the younger members, those with families and mortgages, are actually those who are technologically familiar, but, costs and family demands make attending an AGM a non-starter.
              7. Foreign resident members: There seems to be an increasing number of foreign owners, much to the chagrin of a few who think Marlins should stay in the UK. These foreign owners actually need a far greater amount of support than UK owners. That support comes via the forum, you don't need to be an MOC member to get support, but by definition, like me, they will inevitably never attend an AGM
              8. With reference to point 7, the Committee unilaterally decided to discontinue the formal recognition of Type Specific representatives. I find that decision totally counter productive, and suggest that the Committee formally recognise the the 'de facto' position I have held since the resignation of Adrian Bull. Or am I denied that position because I will not be attending the AGM. Strange indeed as there will be no ther candidates, and it's a non executive position, not requiring an election.

postal votes were not mentioned. We have a forum that can do the job even better, one vote per forum user. Easily checked.
              Steve

You know the reason why I resigned and to use my name in your 'SUGGESTION ' is incorrect as you well know.

Need I spell it out?

Please desist.

Thank you

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                Steve

You know the reason why I resigned and to use my name in your 'SUGGESTION ' is incorrect as you well know.

Need I spell it out?

Please desist.

Thank you

Adrian
                For the benefit of others.
                I did not expand on your reason for resigning, I only used the instant as a 'moment in history' much as we might referer to Cameron's forthcoming resignation at some time in the distant future.
                Many of the more recent forum members would not be aware of the relationship between your previous MOC history, your Forum user name and your 'real name'. You have simply disclosed your otherise anonymity to them.
                I am surprised you are apparently embarrassed by it.
                In future I will quote specifically from the minutes of the relevant AGM that are readable by all MOC members.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Alan, it's a long time since we met at the Otter, my wife and I will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday, so will look out for you on the M40 if you are travelling on Sunday.
                  Cheers
                  Stewart
                  K690RGO

Comment

Yes Stewart plan to travel up the M40 Sunday morning not sure exact time -probably 8.30 for a target arrival of 10.30. Suspect I will leave show late afternoon as have hotel in Warwick booked to make it a bit of a weekend away that's not all cars for my wife Pips - trade off works for me

Originally posted by stewartdjones View Post
                    Hi Alan, it's a long time since we met at the Otter, my wife and I will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday, so will look out for you on the M40 if you are travelling on Sunday.
                    Cheers
                    Stewart
                    K690RGO

Comment

Should show reg picture but anyway its C417 LFF

Comment

[QUOTE=Alan.c;37176]Yes Stewart plan to travel up the M40 Sunday morning not sure exact time -probably 8.30 for a target arrival of 10.30. Suspect I will leave show late afternoon as have hotel in Warwick booked to make it a bit of a weekend away that's not all cars for my wife Pips - trade off works for me
                        Last edited by cameronfurnival; 06-04-16, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Alan, we will be leaving Shepperton around 07.15, stopping of at Gaydon services around 08.30 then arriving at Stonleigh about 9.30.

Comment

OK noted Stewart

Comment

Working...
                            X