Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit of Tinkering

Well it was yesterday really

So I decided to adjust the tappets as I can't remember the last time they were checked! A few of them were a bit tight so I slackened them off a bit. Was a real pain as I have lost the special C-shaped spanner for undoing the lock nuts, luckily though the really awkward one next to the carb didn't need to be adjusted so I got away with it.

Having done that I took a look at the rear gearbox mount because the engine is leaning back at about 2 degrees. I found that there was room for a little adjustment so I pushed it up about half an inch to leave minimal clearance between the selector mount and the top of the tunnel. Once that was done I took her out for a test run. Part way round I felt a some vibration through the steering column on a rough stretch of road which gave me cause for concern. When I got home I whipped the bonnet off to take a look. What I discovered was that a relatively small change at the back end had pushed the alternator adjustment bracket up close to the steering column UJ. In fact I could see some damage on the head of the securing nut!

The solution, well take of the adjuster and saw off the useless extra inch that was causing the problem. Not quite that simple tough because in order to get the bolt out that secures the adjuster to the block I had to remove the water pump pulley as well. Anyway while I had it apart I decided to replace the fan belt as it's about the last rubber part on the car that hasn't been replaced since I built her. Having done all of that I now have ample clearance

It was a long day, a lot of tinkering and fettling but not much driving...
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: A Bit of Tinkering

I was just about to recommend a Tufrided rocker shaft. A common upgrade for B Series engines as it's not uncommon the see excessive wear on the underside of the rocker shaft and the matching face of the rocker. Not necessarily detectable when the rockers are under valve spring pressure with a feeler gauge in the gap. A Tufrided shaft increases its survivability, and makes the engine much quieter when new rocker bushes are fitted. Unfortunately pressing new bushes in is not really practical as they need reaming afterwards, refurbished rockers for MGB engines are readily available, from reputable suppliers they should come with the valve stem face smoothed and surfaced hardened.

But then you have a Pinto. Do the same considerations apply, or did Ford design their rocker shafts better?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The Pinto engine is a singe overhead cam arrangement so there's no rocker shaft to worry about. The biggest issue as far as I can tell is the cam bearings unless you go for a really wild cam in which case the followers are a problem and need to be replaced with roller followers rather than the standard pad type. Mine's on a standard cam which looks fine considering its age, it was the original that came with the engine! I suspect that the valves are still bedding in as the engine is still relatively new at 12,000 miles, either that or I set them up a bit too tight the last time I adjusted them...

Comment

The camshafts are pretty robust on the pinto - the issue is with the spray bars which get gunged up if the oil isnt changed regularly - a new one is a good investment if at all unsure of the service intervals - pattern parts are a bout £10 - in any case I would always replace this part if doing a major service for the cost- my pinto is about to have new cam belt rollers and spraybar

Comment

I don't know what happened there!

I've read elsewhere that they can be a problem. I always use engine flush before eacg oil change to clean out any gunk. The cam was nice and oily so I think I'm good

Comment

The holes on the standard cam spray bar are only 1mm. I've drilled mine out to 1.5mm to increase the oil flow to the cam. I don't flush as I worry that dislodged particles will become lodged along the spray bar. I change the oil (Valvolene VR1) and filter once a year which equates to about 3000 to 3500 miles. If you do decide to drill the spray bar make sure that you clean all the swarf out meticulously. It really does increase the flow to the cam so to head off a loss of oil pressure I fitted a high capacity oil pump too. Easy to do once the sump is dropped.
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
            X