historic tax class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• historic tax class

hi my roadster was built in 1986 on a 1975 marina running gear, engine gearbox axel hubs etc. in 1999 an inspector from dvla checked it over and gave me a new v5 as a marlin first register 1986 on a p plate mrx629p {1975} I was thinking of writing to dvla to see if they would classify the car as historic. has any one done this?. if so what would your advice be on how to word the letter. thanks for any help, I will let you know I get on. regards bob.

Re: historic tax class

here are the rules

Comment

Looks like it has to be 1974 reg or earlier ??

Comment

If you know the chassis number, and reg, of the donor, it's worth talking to the guys on FastMarina, they have quite a comprehensive record of these things.

Comment

This suggests there is a 40 year rolling rule, from April 1st each year so in 3 weeks time it will be a vehicle first constructed before April 1 1975?
          Last edited by Mike; 08-03-16, 01:55 PM.

Comment

According to Honest John:
            Cars built before 1976 will qualify for free road tax from 1 April 2016, Chancellor George Osborne has announced.

To join this club of tax-free classics, all you have to do is prove your car was built (not registered) before January 1, 1976.

See:
            Cars built before 1976 will qualify for free road tax next year - but don't assume this happens automatically. Here's what you need to do to make sure you don't miss out.

"built - not registered" DOH!
            Paul

Comment

Now that I’ve mulled it over I can’t decide what that means. Perhaps it is good news. Millie’s V5 has two dates: “Date of first registration” and “Date of first registration in the UK”. No mention of build date. But her age related plate implies that most of the car was “built” in 1989. Either way I still have 13 years to wait.
              Paul

Comment

You have to be careful when applying for Historic Tax.. Under the new rules the car MUST BE as built at the factory.. So if you have a Marina based Marlin and you do not have a Marina engine as a lot do not or have been updated to Fiat - Alfa - Ford - Vauxhall then be careful - I would pay the tax rather than have an inspector coming round and checking your car which might open a big can of worms.. Make sure your engine CC in the car matches the V5 guys...

Comment

Hi,
                  I,m in the same position, my Marlin has a "manufacture date" (1980 - kit date) and "date of first registration" 1989 ..... but now carries a W plate ??
                  I know for a fact that this kit was registered and on the road in the UK with an N.I. reg plate before 1989 because I owned it back then.
                  When I get around to it I will ask DVLC for a complete list of owners which they should give me (reasonable cause) and then I might ask why its 1989 reg'd.
                  If I,m lucky it will show me as 2nd AND 7th owner.
                  I can only assume that something went wrong when it lost its N.I. plate.
                  I might have to only wait 5 years until its Historic!!
                  Tim

Comment

up date. rejected, big surprise!

Comment

As far as I'm aware the Marlin must have been built from a % of parts from the original car, and that car must be registered before the present rolling 40 year rule, I did have a % list posted to me by a Marlin club member, It was something like 4% for the engine, 4% for the transmission 2% for suspension etc adding up to a given total of say 10%, this is quite restrictive when it comes to altering an old 1973 tax free Marlin such as I own ( If you bother telling anyone ? ) but it seems any amount of tuning can be done to the original components.

Comment

Hi Harry, you just told everyone, oops. you could always delete it PDQ

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                          As far as I'm aware the Marlin must have been built from a % of parts from the original car, and that car must be registered before the present rolling 40 year rule, I did have a % list posted to me by a Marlin club member, It was something like 4% for the engine, 4% for the transmission 2% for suspension etc adding up to a given total of say 10%, this is quite restrictive when it comes to altering an old 1973 tax free Marlin such as I own ( If you bother telling anyone ? ) but it seems any amount of tuning can be done to the original components.
                          It all depends on your interpretation of original components. At some point the mechanicals of the car will no longer be recognisable, though none apart from the chassis and engine are specifically identifiable on the V5.
                          As with the IVA, you can put a car through the process, get a pass, and then make modifications that would otherwise cause a fail.
                          It's much like the few Marlin Kit Cars that are registered and named on their V5 as their donor Triumph or Marina though they clearly do not look like either.
                          If you happened accross a Traffic Officer that was having a bad day, and knew what he was looking at, life could become quite difficult.
                          But clearly, especially with kit cars, the scope for 'data manipulation' is quite high. A simple welded on tab with a chassis number in a single location is open to modification.

Comment

Hi Steve, what you say is in line with my thinking on the subject, I often wondered how I would fare should I be involved in an accident and the Marlin was inspected and found not to be as registered, I should think I'd be arse deep in bother ? I think it better to remain on the right side of the law if possible eh ? one other point is that my Marlin is noted as being heavily modified vehicle and not a kit car ?
                            Last edited by Harry; 23-05-16, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Think have posted this before - but the DVLA are checking the details of cars that are trying to get historic tax ie engine size on V5 compaired with original engine size !! if it is differant then you have to take it for inspection !! Can of worms for sure !!

Comment

Working...
                              X