Stoneleigh 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stoneleigh 2016

Hi Sidon, The stubby stacks are the open type (No mesh) so I use sink plugs to blank them off when not in use. Try SC car parts, 01293 847200. I think they were around £20 for the pair. I had to change the needles for AABs to suit. Not made a huge difference but they look great and the engine note is more throaty. If ever you are in Harrogate, give me a ring and we could meet up. Mob 07708 854818.
    Thanks for your comments. I buy Solvol autosol in bulk !!!!
    Steve Lilley.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
      Hi Sidon, The stubby stacks are the open type (No mesh) so I use sink plugs to blank them off when not in use. Try SC car parts, 01293 847200. I think they were around £20 for the pair. I had to change the needles for AABs to suit. Not made a huge difference but they look great and the engine note is more throaty. If ever you are in Harrogate, give me a ring and we could meet up. Mob 07708 854818.
      Steve Lilley.
      I love the sound that the Trumpets create. Various options for all the different SU carbs are available from sucarb.co.uk but there are many other suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
        Steve Lilley.
        I have put a short ram pipe with grill on my hif carb and it sounds great.

Adrian

Comment

Hi All

Steve- would be great to meet up if I am ever over the Pennines in your beautiful part of the world. Maybe you could use some of that Autosol on my engine compartment whilst me and the Mrs have a brew in Betty's!!! I'll bring you some cake back.

I do have ram pipes on my twin HS4 carbs and yes they sound lovely and throaty. Your plugs caught my eye because I am currently thinking of ways to keep my carbs a bit cooler, especially when sitting in traffic so I look at other people's set ups very closely. My car runs well with AAA needles but my current little 'project' is to try to cure dropping revs when stuck in traffic, particularly on warm days. I have to keep blipping the throttle to avoid the car stalling. My set up uses thinner insulating blocks between carbs and manifold and the heat shield has been cut away in places to avoid fouling the carbs. This has exposed the float bowls to more exhaust manifold heat than they like when there is no flow of air through the engine compartment. Feeling the various components after a long run, it is the float bowls that feel the warmest, especially the rear one. Part of the problem, I believe, is a result of a previous owner fitting a high lift cam which causes low vacuum at tickover, making the car more prone to the falling tickover problems. Carbs are new and set up nicely.

My plan is to re-instate some of the heat shield to see if that helps , then maybe look at feeding the carbs with cooler air - I don't really want to cut away any of the bodywork for side scoops etc, if I can help it, so might run some intake pipework to forward of the radiator with a filter on the end and a fabricated box on the carbs.

After that long winded explanation, I wonder if members could post photographs of their solutions. I say this knowing that not everybody suffers from this problem.

Thanks.
          Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Sunday pics

106.jpg

111.jpg

116.jpg

121.jpg

126.jpg

Comment

Well what a weekend, I suspect the Queen would have called it her weekendicus oriblus!! It started off not too bad except for the fact that I had somehow got it fixed in my mind that the AGM started at 1-00pm and not 2-00pm, blast – I could have got a whole extra hour in bed. Futhermore, for 18 years on the trot I had failed yet again to gain the coveted Best garden rubbish trailer tow car in show!!

Enough of all this inconsequential rubbish and now for the nitty gritty. I had driven the 70 plus miles home (11 miles south of Aylesbury) and was turning into the last but one road in our village before home – about 400 yards, when there was a bang and a whirr but no traction. Broken drive shaft!. I knew immediately because I had experienced the same thing 50 years ago when tried to take 8 assorted members of the Coventry Canoe Club home in a little old Austin 8 but that’s a whole new story.

Being fairly flat where I live I decided to try and push the car the last few yards. I got up quite a head of steam and at one point I was kneeling on the running board and pushing with one leg, rather like a really big skooter. Eventually having covered about half the remaining distance home, I began to realize I am not 17 any more and I was becoming heart attack fodder. So, there was nothing for it but to phone home and let my other half know what the situation was.

That is when the weekend took its real swing at me – I had left my bag (complete with phone, expensive camera, sat-nav and assorted other stuff) at a petrol station about 4 miles north of the showground. What to do? I had to try and get hold of somebody who lives south, was still there and persuade them to collect the bag and bring it south. I could then arrange to meet up and collect it. I managed to get Dane Cosby on the phone and bless him he went around trying to find someone. I know Ben Caswell had tried to connect to us because his number was logged on the phone but we were out dealing with the low loader that had been organized. I have friends in the village who would have gladly towed me in but they were either on holiday or simply out for the day. Anyway, I had 18 years of paying premiums and never once used them

Now for the next obstacle. The lady taking the recovery request initially decided that because I don’t have Home Start cover and the car was now less than ½ mile from home I couldn’t claim. I have to say, in hindsight, I am quite impressed at how calm I remained. Anyway, with a bit more persuasion and explanation I managed to get her to understand that if I continued to push the car she would probably have a heart attack on her concience. No-one phoned on Sunday evening or Monday morning but we had established that the bag was there and intact - the cashier had the presence of mind to look in the bag, find the phone and send a text to “Home” on the basis that it was a fair chance it would be me. I decided that there was nothing for it but to spend £24 on diesel and drive back to Warwick to get the bag.

So, comments on the way the shaft was shortened please (rather than sleeving ) and has anyone got a 2 litre Sierra offside driveshaft they are willing to part with

Broken-drive-shaft.jpgBroken-half-shaft-2.jpg

X - 8.125"
              Y = 6.25"
              Last edited by keith_h; 06-05-16, 12:07 AM.

Comment

sounds like a horrible end to a great day Keith! Looking at the prop have you thought about popping it back together with some airfix glue?

Comment

Hi Keith I have PM'd you re your lost bag!!

Re the drive shaft is it not possible to have it rewelded? Possible friction welding?
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I think I would be inclined to change both sides if both were shortened in the same manner. David

Comment

Sunday pics

131.jpg

136.jpg

Comment

Sunday pics

141.jpg

146.jpg

151.jpg

156.jpg

161.jpg

Comment

normally when joining shafts, the piece in the middle is almost the same size as the outer shaft and is plug welded before the 2 outers are welded together - there does not seem to be much penetration looking at photos ??

Comment

Sunday pics

166.jpg

171.jpg

176.jpg

181.jpg

Comment

Sunday pics. The last lot.

186.jpg

191.jpg

196.jpg

201.jpg

Well that's all my pics from Stoneleigh, sorry about the delay in adding them. Each pic starts on my phone, is transferred to my laptop, is resized, saved then uploaded, and each takes a couple of minutes. There may be faster ways to do it but most of the time I am only uploading a couple of pics to my build diary and it works fine for that.

Comment

[QUOTE=b_caswell;37587]Hi Keith I have PM'd you re your lost bag!!

Re the drive shaft is it not possible to have it rewelded? Possible friction welding?

A propshaft company such as this should be able to do it. They made me a prop for my Berli.

Comment

Working...
                                X