body filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body filler

In prepping my berli for paint I am having to rub down quite a lot. It was originally painted maroon and cream and then over-painted in silver. The silver has bonded to the maroon but that has lifted from whatever is below it. Needless to say there are a few blemishes and wrinkles along the way too. the pic beleow shows the sort of thing...

31May2015_0461.JPG

I was lovingly using Davids p38 to bring bits up to par and level when I had a conversation with a painter who said that p38 wasn't good enough - it needs something more flexible apparently. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Re: body filler

Isopon do a metal filled filler called Metallic or something like that. I think its mainly intended for filling metalwork and I've only used it on aluminium alloy but it may be a bit more flexible than p38. A bit pricey though!

Comment

Frost also do a metallised filler which is supposed to be less porous and more flexible than the standard stuff. Again, not cheap.

Comment

I would stick with the U-POL products (P38) as I have always found them the best. If you are having problems with adhesion I have used this to great effect

GALV-X or Plast-x

Adrian
        Last edited by listerjp2; 25-05-16, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Cameron

I used P38 to build up my boot and tub to achieve better shut lines. When I took it along to the painter he immediately said he would remove it all as it would not have bonded well enough.

When I went back today, he said he tested it and was happy it had adhered very well, so left it alone. He seemed to be concerned about it keying to the underlying material rather than being flexible.
          It appears the success or otherwise depends on getting down to a stable substrate, roughing up the surface with a course grit sand paper (80 grade) and getting a good bond.

Mike

Comment

Hi Cameron,
            Isopon do a high adhesion filler for plastic bumpers, I used this last week to fill a gouge on the underside of a bumper that have come off worst in a brush with a kerb. Although I don't know how it will perform long term it did seam to stick well to the bumper, was easy to sand smooth and is still stuck to the plastic spreader permanently.
            I had repaired some cracks in a fibre glass bonnet on my Spitfire last year using standard filler, it has now all cracked again I will be digging it out and doing it again and using this filler on it. I well worth maybe doing some test before spending a lot of time and money on something that is not going to last.
            Hope this helps.
            Best Regards
            Graham

Comment

I had problems in the same area while respraying my car last year, I had to remove all the paint in the area and rub it down then gave it a few coats of primer, undercoat etc, it was fine, but I must say that in the 12 months since I sprayed my Marlin quite a number of odd marks have occurred around the body.

Comment

Working...
              X