Speedo stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo stopped working

So my speedo has stopped working on my mark 1 Triumph based roadster. I have a Smiths gauge with a mechanical speedo. So I thought I would get a new cable. I undid it from the gauge and was going to undo the other end which I understand is on the side of the gear box housing. However, this is impossible to get to. It is right in the transmission tunnel and the exhaust is in the way etc. I can even get a view of where the other end of the cable goes.

What do people do in this situation???

Any help appreciated.

Dan

Re: Speedo stopped working

Ask Ben!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The top of the transmission tunnel probably unbolts, you maybe able to get to it then.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Not a chance, my Marina based car had a large plate in the side of the tranny tunnel, a couple of screws and it was still a git to get at.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

When I got the car I carpeted the 'transmission lump' and the prop shaft tunnel. I don't remember any access panels!

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan, Your car has an overdrive so the speedo cable goes to a right angle drive at the rear drivers side of the O/D. The tunnel on most Mk1's have a grp rear cover and then a alloy top plate running back along the top of the tunnel. Other solution is to take off the exhaust.

BUT before doing all that find a small screw driver or something that fits into the back of the speedo and check that it works when you twiddle in the direction of the needle. If the speedo works and the cable looks intact its possible it may be the right angle drive that has given up.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben, I will do the screwdriver thing as a first port of call. I will also take another look under the car. Even if I did take the exhaust off I think access might be pretty tricky from underneath the car.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X