Adventure ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure ride.

Today mine went for it's MOT first for 6+ years and carb set up (it wont run properly). This involved a 10 mile high speed tow on a 6' pole behind 'Best Beloved' who was late for work. Probably 40-50 mph with sun in the eyes ,alternating between sun and shadow blind. Occasional Oh Sh...! as she braked suddenly and went a bit sideways. We got there in one piece, now to wait!

Re: Adventure ride.

Brave man..........Respect!!
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Sounds like she was trying to bin both of you into the ditch...
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I do hope that it was Berlingo trying to shake off the pup on it's tail and not Best Beloved trying to shake me off. Anyway MOT PASSED!!! Now Taxed, just got to get it running properly.

Comment

Happy MOT!
          Always a nice feeling!
          Gareth.

Comment

Cheers Gareth. All Legal Mot & Tax! Carbs still not right , spitting and popping. Possible fuel starvation due to hot engine room and fuel pipe close to exhaust. But better than it was. we're getting there.

Comment

Have a look at my previous posts and pics re fitting blower and ducting to cool the carb. It really works. Welcome to pop round if you want a look.
              Gareth.

Comment

Cheers Gareth, I remember the post, once things have settled I will re visit it . M first move is to jack up the back edge of the bonnet to let some heat out. I do have a small snail blower. I feel a thread coming on. I'll be in touch.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                  Cheers Gareth, I remember the post, once things have settled I will re visit it . M first move is to jack up the back edge of the bonnet to let some heat out. I do have a small snail blower. I feel a thread coming on. I'll be in touch.
                  Dave
                  A trick from the past, for cars with centre hinged bonnets and spring type side catches, was to wedge an empty match box under the outer edges of each bonnet on both sides. It used to clear a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. Also as car heaters were a rarity, let alone demisters, the same trick on a frosty day would keep the ice off the windscreen! Happy days. Peter.

Comment

Gareth, any chance of a photo of your cooling? I found your answer to a post of mine but no pictures. Peter, I was thinking of lifting the rear hinge mounting and putting some blocks in near the bend in the bonnet . I don't like the idea of putting holes in the bonnet just yet. First I have to move the fuel pipe which is very close to the two pipes from the exhaust manifold. Also I'm trying to find space to put a flexible duct to bring cool air to the carbs. All this with a busy week ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                      A trick from the past, for cars with centre hinged bonnets and spring type side catches, was to wedge an empty match box under the outer edges of each bonnet on both sides. It used to clear a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. Also as car heaters were a rarity, let alone demisters, the same trick on a frosty day would keep the ice off the windscreen! Happy days. Peter.
                      That was what I used to do in the winter when the Marlin was my daily driver, it was very effective at deicing the windscreen!
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                        Gareth, any chance of a photo of your cooling? I found your answer to a post of mine but no pictures. Peter, I was thinking of lifting the rear hinge mounting and putting some blocks in near the bend in the bonnet . I don't like the idea of putting holes in the bonnet just yet. First I have to move the fuel pipe which is very close to the two pipes from the exhaust manifold. Also I'm trying to find space to put a flexible duct to bring cool air to the carbs. All this with a busy week ahead!
                        Re-routing the fuel lines to a cooler area it best but if you have metal fuel lines you can also slit down a length of fuel hose and slip it over the pipe and secure with small cable ties. It acts as insulation from external heat. I have used this to good effect on a classic where the fuel pipe was routed around the front of the engine so it received all the hot air from the radiator! Peter.

Comment

Hi Dave,
                          I put a thread on with a title of " a little more cooling helps ", and hopefully the pictures are below. If you go on Ebay and search for 3" blower, (but if you put that in Google images you may get something completely different!!!).
                          Also search for 3" flexible ducting.
                          I've mounted the blower behind the number plate by shortening the length of the blower and fitting a bar across the chassis. The ducting goes under the chassis and is mounted below the carb, blowing cold air under the carb and onto the air filter.
                          I had exactly same problems as you seem to have, and getting the cold air to the carb helps.
                          The blower may seem big but you really can't see it or the ducting unless you crouch right down.
                          All the best,
                          Gareth.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to say Dave, I sprayed it black, just because it looks better. You can just see one of the mounting bolts in the top of the top picture. I didn't want to put any holes in the nose cone, hence a piece of bar across the chassis, which you can't quite see in the picture.
                            Gareth.

Comment

Cheers Gareth, That's brilliant, fitting in my snail blower won't be as easy but tomorrow I start!
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X