Ford Gearbox Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Gearbox Help Please

This is my first post so hello all. I have just had an article posted in Pitstop titled Dead or Alive II. In short the article is about me and my son getting my deceased father’s Marlin back on the road.

Unfortunately, we had the car out recently and the gear stick has jammed round about 3rd gear, but not in gear. There is a ford 2l pinto in the car with a 4 speed box (think it is a type 3). I have removed the tunnel cover to access the top of the box. I can see a pin that is preventing the stick from moving back, (see photo) Is this the problem? Or is there something else causing the problem?

Please help if you can.
    Marlin Box.JPG

Re: Ford Gearbox Help Please

Welcome, I loved reading your Pitstop article. I would suggest searching for Ford type 9 gearbox using Mr Google. There is a site that's dedicated to the gearbox that has the service manuals. The 4 speed box is a variant of the type 9 and from memory it's covered in the service manual.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

A shot in the dark!
      Busted roll pin allowing the selector block to move on the shaft?

Comment

I've got a copy of the T9 manual here and it includes the 4-speed variant so you should be able to find what you need

Comment

That pin that is sticking out looks as though it has come out of the selector and if pushed back in (and secured) would maybe lock the fork to the selector rod. As it is sticking out like that it doesn't seem to be serving any purpose, hence my suggestion.

Comment

Think you may well be right V8

Comment

Well consulting the manual should confirm that

Comment

I'm now thinking that the 'pin' should be there in order to move the selector fork. If the bronze coloured selector that has its arm behind that pin is the reverse gear selector it would suggest maybe that the unit with 'pin' is not in correct position on shaft so I'll stick with a broken roll pin.

Comment

Than you very much for your input folks. The link to the manual is ideal andyf. It looks like the pin pictured in my original post is meant to be there. I will have a good look at the box next time I can make it to my mum's as the car is now garaged at here house again. I'll have a look for a broken roll pin. Thanks again

Gearbox.JPG

Comment

When you removed the top of the gearbox did you pit it back the right way. If you did not then you will get the problem you have. Just undo the bolts lift the top plate turn it 180 degrees then replace and bolt down.

Comment

I think that if you can move the bronze looking selector back with a screwdriver or similar you will find that the PIN you have indicated goes into place on the reverse gear selector ( fitted to the side of the gearbox) a common fault of most (racing gear changes) on this type of box is to jam the third and fourth selectors into third. Try removing items 19,20,21, selector indent plunger and spring to see if it makes it easier to move the third/forth selector back into place and the reverse PIN back onto its selector arm.

Comment

If you look closely at the gearbox cover leaving aside the breather, you will see that the wide shaped rib that crosses the plate is higher at one end than the other. I think this design is to allow room for the selector plate to move. If you have replaced the top plate around the wrong way when you attempt to select gears the selector plate will attempt to select but will not move fully and hence no selection, you will be stuck with very little gear movement.

Comment

Once again, thanks for all the input guys, car is now sorted. The selector pin had ridded over the 3rd 4th selector fork. I removed the roll pin and selector locking plate. Chapped the selector pin so it went into the groove on the 3rd 4th fork. Replaced the locking plate and everything was working well. It did look like it could happen a again with a forcefull/race gearchange. I then glued a couple of magnets to add 4mm of material to the side of the gear stick prongs to limit the movement of the gearstick towards the driver. Now there is no way it can happen again.

Geaerbox2.JPG

Comment

Nice to know that you've got it sorted

Comment

They are good boxes, but they don't like to be hurried. Well done for persevering with it. With reference to sticking magnets to remove slack in the gear lever to selector shaft, you maybe want to renew the gear lever to selector saddle instead. try eBay. Less than a £5.

As an afterthought, not having a saddle in place or a worn out one is probably the reason for the problem in the first place, its worth having a serious look in the gear lever area for bits of plastic or phosphor bronze, was there one in there?
                              Last edited by philcoyle; 30-06-16, 05:36 PM. Reason: grey moment

Comment

Working...
                              X