Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: brakes and clutch

Hi Marcus,
    Neither of those will do I am afraid. The M16 is for the later fords when they became metric, hence the "M"16.
    You need the earlier ones which were imperial.
    See this for an example.

Jon
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Marcus,

Brake parts are showing that they have on right hand caliper in stock. That is the only one they have and it seems to have no surcharge so an outright purchase which is good as it means no messing about posting your old one back to them.
      Brakes International & Brakeparts.co.uk have been providing quality braking components to the UK and overseas for over 25 years. Over 150,000 brake parts in stock!

The one on ebay above is a left hand one so in theory this should provide you with a pair.

Hope this helps
      Jon
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
        Hi Marcus,
        Neither of those will do I am afraid. The M16 is for the later fords when they became metric, hence the "M"16.
        You need the earlier ones which were imperial.
        See this for an example.

Jon

That's the the one I was about to post, along with this one from Rimmer Bros Note. They are handed LH and RH needed.

Marina discs are solid 247mm diameter and specific to all Marina / Ital cars. They never had vented discs unless you follow my Clio conversion.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Marcus,
          Not an expert on but have you tried looking at Spitfire calipers, my 1500 uses type 14 calipers but ot sure if all type 14 s have the same fixings.
          Graham

Comment

Originally posted by fouter View Post
            Hi Marcus,
            Not an expert on but have you tried looking at Spitfire calipers, my 1500 uses type 14 calipers but ot sure if all type 14 s have the same fixings.
            Graham
            All Type 14 have the same fixing bolt size and centres.

I have seen variants but cannot confirm which cars they particularly fit, where the hydraulic connection is on the top rather than the side of the caliper body.
            Easily overcome if you discard the Marinas rigid pipe from the steering upright to the caliper and replace the whole section from chassis to caliper with a custom braided stainless hose.
            But that is a bit of a red herring if you stick with the Marina application and parts lists.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thanks guys, think these would do it ok?
              They all look the same to me to be honest...
              appreciate your help

Comment

Originally posted by littlewhiteroadster View Post
                Thanks guys, think these would do it ok?
                They all look the same to me to be honest...
                appreciate your help
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Triump...cAAOSwe8tXMei-
                No!
                The disks will not fit a Marina Hub.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I would steer clear of the red herring and go with the Green.
                  Graham

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, went for the caliper options you gave me above....
                    Can't wait to get her back on the road, will report back
                    Cheers
                    Marcus

Comment

Marina clutch isn't the right one garage says it's a leyland gearbox...will post some pics in a bit

Comment

What you have as said before your box is from a Triumph Dolomite, probably an 1850. The normal route taken was to replace the Dolomite input shaft with a Marina one, therefore retaining the Marina bell housing, clutch release mechanism, plate and flywheel.
                        There are only two different clutch plates for a Marina, that fitted to a 1.3 and one fitted to the 1.8 and 1.7 Itals.

Yes it is. Leyland gearbox, the same castings but with some different internals was used on many small Triumphs and the Marina.
                        Pics will help, but why exactly is the clutch plate the wrong one?

Assuming you are an MOC member and have access to the members only section, there are Pitstop several articles on gearboxes from 1991 to 1992
                        Last edited by stevejgreen; 29-06-16, 07:59 AM.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

BL existed from '68 to '86 and were Triumph, Morris, Austin, Rover manufacturers, just what you would expect on a Dolomite 1850 gearbox.

The pictures show just what I would expect from a 1.8 Marina 23 spline clutch plate.

What exactly is wrong with the new clutch?
                          Is it the same diameter, has it the same number of splines?
                          What is its part number? What car was it supposed to fit?

Please check your notifications (Page top right drop down)
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                          X