Triumph Vitesse/GT6 Overdrive gearbox removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Vitesse/GT6 Overdrive gearbox removal

Hi as per the title, what's the easiest way to get the gearbox in and out to do the clutch? I have an engine crane and wonder if it would be easier to pull both out together? In my Vitesse I could get the gearbox out inside the car in about an hour, the marlin looks a little tighter!

Many Thanks

Julian

Re: Triumph Vitesse/GT6 Overdrive gearbox removal

When I did the Alfa engine in my Roadster it was so much easier and I think quicker to drop the engine and box onto the ground, lift the front of the car and slide the whole lot out from underneath. As the Alfa is an OHC engine it is pretty tall so I also put the back wheels on ramps for a little bit extra height.
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

When I did the type 9 swap on mine is managed to just get the gearbox out from under the car even though it looked tight.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

The work to take the gearbox out from underneath, is the same as dropping the gearbox and engine out together, except for the engine mounts, as everything else needs to be uncoupled to tilt the engine sufficiently.
        The advantage of dropping the complete assembly is that, provided you have a solid work surface, it's easier to reattach the gearbox when everything is horizontal, and two people can work together, assuming you have a mechanical buddy.
        The only real drawback is the additional weight and the gear necessary to control it.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Im sure Ben Caswell will be along to give a definitive answer on this one but my thoughts are that an OD box will be a pig to put back and get all lined up etc, I would echo Steve and BMs comments and drop teh lot together. when I did it on my old 1800 (pics are on here somewhere) I had the car on ramps then dropped the engine and box onto a trolley. I then lifted the car using my engine hoist even higher so I could slide the whole lot out.

Last edited by cameronfurnival; 09-07-16, 12:20 PM.

Comment

No doubt, after many engine/gearbox removals the only way is: drop the engine onto a wheeled dolly, lift the front end of the car with the engine hoist, wheel the power unit out and then separating and re-uniting the engine and gear box can be done on the level. The only time I have had difficulty with this technique was with my friend Fred’s car which has an overdrive box and the previous owner had welded the rear mounting bar to the chassis so a lot of jiggling was required.
            Is Steve’s mechanical buddy cordless or does he require a lead?

Comment

I have always done it( at least 4 times) by removing the lamp bar, nose and radiator then lifting the whole engine and box out of the car.

If you are going to drop the engine and box you will probably have to take the manifolds off to clear the steering column and chassis and remove the gearbox cross member if its a hybrid but if its a Mk1 the box support is part off the chassis.

Or you could put a timber support across the top of the engine bay and use a strap to support the gear box and leave it in the car. But lining up the box and engine on the way back in is a bit difficult because of limited space.

Most roadsters were originally built chassis up with the mechanicals first then the body panels. I have thought about cutting the off side engine panel towards the rear of the louvres so that you have more access to the engine.

Best of luck keep us posted
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
              X