Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triumph based roadster, new fuel tank required....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph based roadster, new fuel tank required....

Hi,
    I have an triumph based roadster that is in desperate need of a new fuel tank ! The imp tank is filthy inside ..

Any suggestions on an alternative, the imp tank is not easy not find, so I'm thinking of a Sprite one ?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I'm kicking myself for not tackling this sooner !

Thanks all . Richard
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: Triumph based roadster, new fuel tank required....

There are coatings from frost auto supplies which will sort this out petrol tank sealer it works well

Comment

If its not leaking you could take it out and give it a good rinse out with some Jizer
      or you could have it steamed cleaned.

try eBay 391486111677

Some Mk1 cars used the spitfire tank which would need the filler moving.

My sons car uses a Robin Reliant tank.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi,
        Quick update..
        I have removed the imp tank today & it's u/s as it's VERY rusty inside ..

I'm still thinking a new spridget tank is the way to go ... see:

http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-TANK-MIDGET-1972-TO-1976-Clip-on-sender-/252454041998?hash=item3ac76ef98e:gckAAOSwZ1BXf5VC

Biggest concern i have is that the spridget tank is 145mm deep & I only have 140mm before the tank would touch the top of the diff. (not good) ..

My thinking is to raise the tank by fabricating a marine ply surround, which would bolt to the original floor.

My question is what sort of clearance is advised .. I guess 1cm ply would give me 5mm clearance etc..

REMEMBER this is a triumph rear axle...

Thanks .. !

Comment

May be worth speaking to Cropper & Jones at Ellesmere Port about repairing and reconditioning it. They did an A35 tank for me which was very rusty inside and had a few holes.
          Regards
          Dave

Comment

8hrs bidding left when I posted this

Comment

I have bought a brand new midget tank (made in Canada ) with the sender unit for £125 off eBay.The tank replaced my Hillman Imp one and fitted almost perfectly.No problems with clearance on the rear Triumpth axle AND i WAS ABLE TO USE ALL THE EXISTING FILLER FITTINGS ETC.
              i SPENT NEARLY A WHOLE YEAR FATHING ARROUND WITH MY OLD IMP TANK so I would definitely recommend changing it.Mine is a Triumpth based Mk 1 roadster.I was so pleased with it I have bought a second one to go into my Marina based Roadster that I am currently /still building!!
              Good Luck
              Mike

Comment

My experience with tank sealers is that they are fine with motorcycle tanks that you can readily spin around, but larger car tanks are less than easy and unpredictable in results. A new tank may be more expensive, but more reliable.
                Last edited by stevejgreen; 30-07-16, 07:19 AM. Reason: tthe only time less becomes more.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  My experience with tank sealers is that they are fine with motorcycle tanks that you can readily spin around, but larger car tanks are less than easy and unpredictable in results. A new tank may be more expensive, but less reliable.
                  I think you ment more reliable
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Oops. Thanks.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Mike, spot on .. I ordered the same tank and received it today (from MGBHIVE) it fits the gap perfectly ! And even better it's galvanised ..
                      I will probably make a new / additional boot floor from marine ply and attach it over original. Then bolt the tank to that.

Loads of clearance so long as I don't mount it too far forward.

Only small problem to overcome is that the filler cap is high up front and midget filler is rear, meaning I need to use some flexible hose and fabricate a double s bend.. It's doable.

Thanks for everyone's reply ! I will post photos later ..

Regards .. Richard

Comment

For everyone that read this thread, after three months work the new fuel tank etc. Was fitted and car recomissioned. It passed the MOT Friday with no advisories.. This is after 28 years in my garage ! It's an amazing tribute to the longevity of the Marlin construction and triumph engineering .. It almost seems to drive better than when it came off the road in 1988 !!

Now I can start to spend time on the bodywork .. Which has a touch of garage rash ..

Comment

Well done...
                          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                          X