X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5exi getting some TLC

Originally posted by leadfoot View Post
    [ATTACH]8205[/ATTACH]

Been working on adding a new circuit into the car so I can charge phones and a satnav. The little panel also has a separate voltmeter. It cost £7.30 which is £1.20 cheaper than Auto Electrical Supplies charge just for the exact same phone USB socket on its own!
    Anyway, being more mechanical than electrical, I gave it a go and it works great.
    Now to get it installed in situ.
    Sounds goodbut where did you get it from?
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

^^^

Ditto, thats answered exactly how I could put a similar set-up in my Cabrio, any chance of a link to where you git this from.

Cheers

Wigs
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I got it from good 'ole fleabay. Took a couple of weeks to arrive.
        Type in something like "12v dual charger" and use price range filters and it'll get you there.

2017-02-27 09.53.10.jpg
        Last edited by leadfoot; 27-02-17, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Just make sure that they are not boat cigarette lighter sockets as they are a different size to the car ones... Fell foul of that myself last year.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Cheers guys,

Another link to add to the build plan.
            2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              Just make sure that they are not boat cigarette lighter sockets as they are a different size to the car ones... Fell foul of that myself last year.
              As you can see in the test picture, the standard in-car satnav charger fit nicely into the socket. However, it's just a charger port rather than a cigarette lighter. My sat-nav only draws 1.3A max.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post
                Sounds goodbut where did you get it from?
                Mines on its way!
                YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

You'll not be disappointed. It's a neat little setup.

Comment

Geoff Goldblum once said…”Err…Life finds a way…” which are very prophetic words indeed. In this case, it found a way to prevent me getting on with my rebuild. Completion target dates have come and gone as things that require my immediate attention have cropped up but I work when I can and slowly but surely, I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
                    There are many things I have done but identifying all the suspension and brake components and the subsequent stripping/painting/refurbing/rebuilding work has taken longer and been a bigger task than expected!!! I did well because I only bought one item in error.
                    Firstly and in preparation for the dash going back in, I revisited the demister vents and whilst I was in the process of replacing the fuel gauge, I decided to colour code the clock binnacle.
                    20170311_164034.jpg
                    20170311_211844-1.jpg
                    20170326_150009-1.jpg
                    20170326_145318-1.jpg
                    20170326_145725-1.jpg

Then I turned my attention to all four corners and the frame mounting points.
                    20170327_194518.jpg
                    20170328_195947.jpg
                    20170624_113712.jpg
                    20170626_202528.jpg
                    20171003_215450-1.jpg
                    20171008_171541.jpg
                    20171016_201327.jpg

Comment

When coming to the end of the suspension and brake work, I did away with the standard airbox and fitted a cone air filter by taking some plastic pipe reducers I had bought from B&Q and modifying them to join the new filter with the existing rubber throttle pipe connection. I then made a little bracket for this which is mounted to another bracket that supports one of the gear cables. It now sits nicely under one of the clamshell humps near the rear mesh panel; hopefully it’ll get cooler air from where it was situated before but still remain protected from rain and dirt.20171020_183507.jpg

Comment

Looking great - just don't count up all the hours involved !

Comment

ooh yes lovely. Can i ask a question? Why does the upper wishbone have a bit of tube sticking out before the wishbone itself is welded on? Do you understand what I mean? It looks like a weak spot in design to me? Im sure an engineer will be along in aminute to point out why it's like that.

5exi-wishbone.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                            ooh yes lovely. Can i ask a question? Why does the upper wishbone have a bit of tube sticking out before the wishbone itself is welded on? Do you understand what I mean? It looks like a weak spot in design to me? Im sure an engineer will be along in aminute to point out why it's like that.

[ATTACH]9275[/ATTACH]
                            The picture doesn't show it but I plated the open tubes to (imo) add strength and keep any detritus collecting so causing rust.
                            I had to cut the pipe back as it was rubbing the springs on the rear before plating up. Wasn't impressed with the design as it was...2017-06-23 21.34.22.jpg
                            Last edited by leadfoot; 24-10-17, 05:24 PM. Reason: Correction to text

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                              Looking great - just don't count up all the hours involved !
                              I have a new found respect for how long and how much work is involved, not to mention the expense. Most people will think 10mins with a wire brush and a can of paint and the job is done. Not so..!

Comment

Working...
                              X