Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5exi getting some TLC

Originally posted by angusgrooby View Post
    Looks great, well done love the interior.
    Thanks!
    Wanted to get the body sprayed in time for Stoneleigh to compliment the other work thats been done but I don't think I'll get around to it. Being on the road was the main goal and at least thats been achieved (at last).
    20180414_124022.jpg

Comment

A high class job I really enjoyed watching your progress. It really is looking fabulous. I’m looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at Stoneleigh. What’s it like to drive?
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
        A high class job I really enjoyed watching your progress. It really is looking fabulous. I’m looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at Stoneleigh. What’s it like to drive?
        Paul
        Hi Paul, thank you very much!
        I am still hoping to get it sprayed before Stoneleigh as the photo I have posted is very flattering to the bodywork. This would be the official end to “Phase 1”. It is exactly 2yrs to the day since I bought it and started the rebuild which, among many other things, included the sourcing of 131 different items at a cost of £2K (Not including the pending paint job).
        I have other things planned but that is for the next autumn/winter period. For now, I’m going to enjoy the car until then and get a list of outstanding items I’ll need to address during “phase 2” work.

I was lucky on Saturday as not only did the car pass the MOT first time, with the weather being sunny as well, I drove down to the MOT station without the vinyl roof on. Got slightly wet during the washer jet test though…
        I admit to being a little stressed as the fog and reverse lights had stopped working, so had to deal with that the night before. This pushed the oil/oil filter/gearbox oil/wheel change to the morning of the test. Arrived 5mins late at the testing station slightly flustered!

Considering the engine that’s in, I found the car to be very nippy and the sound from behind my left ear is fantastic! It has go-kart handling characteristics and the feedback is brilliant, although the suspension is a little harsh on uneven road surfaces.
        After I passed the MOT, I took my morale enhancement officer (best mate) on a drive and explored the level of grip on a local, albeit quiet roundabout. The level of grip on brand new tyres was brilliant and that was before I realised that I hadn’t let air out from when they were pumped up at the tyre place, so the pressures were too high for my car.
        It did seem to have a little bit of snap oversteer on the limit but I didn’t repeat the exercise as that kind of exuberance is best left for a track, plus I need learn and get used to the handling. I have the early suspension and handling issues have been addressed with a different design. This may be a future change for me to consider…
        I had a little bit of bumpsteer on the front and as the test drive wore on, the wheels started catching on the arches over bumps. Called it a day at that point and found on getting home, that the suspension had settled more than expected and changed the angle of the wishbones/steering arms. This had also changed the camber angle significantly as well.

Overall, with everything that has been done, I was extremely happy with my first time on the road. I will tweak the suspension to deal with the obvious changes in geometry and see what difference this makes.

See you at Stoneleigh!

Comment

With Stoneleigh fast approaching, I'm cutting it fine. Got an update from the paint sprayer 1st May;
          IMG-20180501-WA0000.jpg

He tells me today that it's not far off ready and sends me this sneaky peak (doesn't want to spoil the surprise);
          IMG-20180503-WA0000.jpg

Aching to see this thing now! Looks good already and that's before polishing.

Comment

I just about got to and from Stoneleigh (approx 200 miles) and the driveshaft failed.
            20180506_200310.jpg20180507_080124-1.jpg20180506_184636.jpg20180507_080739.jpg

So I've (bodged), I mean bridged the hole 20180519_102440.jpg20180519_132618.jpg20180521_211645.jpgbut the replacement driveshaft is too short as I could feel the bearings through the boot despite being the "correct" donor part...20180526_105616-1.jpg
            Fitted it anyway but it pulled out from the inner tri-bearing immediately when taking it for a test run today.
            Anyone cut and shut a driveshaft before? Is it a viable and reliable option?

Comment

I forgot to mention that I changed the suspension geometry and made a new gearbox mount to alleviate the driveshaft angles but to no avail.
              20180529_145213.jpg

Comment

There is a company called CPSDRIVELINKLTD that advertises in CKC magazine that does all things drive train related including friction welding. Probably not cheap but might be worth checking out. www.cpsdrivelink.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                  There is a company called CPSDRIVELINKLTD that advertises in CKC magazine that does all things drive train related including friction welding. Probably not cheap but might be worth checking out. www.cpsdrivelink.co.uk
                  Thanks. If I can't find a longer off the shelf option, a modified/made to measure driveshaft will probably be the route I'll be forced down.

Comment

Fitted a Rover 25 (99-05) driveshaft. It's 645mm long Vs the 620mm long one that is meant for the original donor mechanicals fitted.
                    Braved a longer journey today to build up the confidence since fixing the gearbox/driveshaft. Seems like I've bottomed the problem with my £17 second hand driveshaft. Love a cheap fix!
                    Popped up to see a friend who duly took a photo.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Cutting a suspension spring. Not exactly part of the build (rather a bodge) but keeps me going until I get around to renewing all four corners...
                      Right after a drive and checking over the car, I noticed the nearside front wheel was getting close to rubbing the arch but the day after it was back to "2-1/2 fingers high".
                      On inspection, the spring was bulging out to the side in the middle (think banana) . I suspect that it's been subjected to heat at some point and lost its mechanical properties. Luckily I had some springs lying around in the back of the garage except they were too long.
                      20180929_094259-1.jpg

First I cut one to a length, not necessarily trying to match the other side because I'd simply not tighten it as much on the adjustment.
                      20180929_095018-1.jpg

Using G-clamps, I put a little tension on the end and applied heat to the half coil point until it closed up on the other spring i.e. make a square end. Using a flap wheel on a grinder, I dressed the spring back to try and get a flat face.
                      20180929_105911-1.jpg

Three slap-dash coats of red paint later and it was back in the car.
                      20180929_131603.jpg

I took the necessary tools with me (Allen key and C-spanner) and went on a drive. Adjusting for height and handling I think it's worked out great. Used the fishing line test to dial the tracking back in as well.
                      Bodging at its best!

Comment

Working...
                      X