5exi getting some TLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5exi getting some TLC

Bought this car in April and subsequently took it off the road for some work.
    Jobs done so far:-
    Refurbished the wheels, adjusted and modified the gear selector and linkages, stripped out the interior, de-rusted & painted the floor, polished out some bodywork sun damage, removed and stripped the dash and currently revisiting the heater ducting/controls/cables.
    Attached Files

Re: 5exi getting some TLC

Nice to see a post about a 5exi.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I'll second that.

Lots of progress - do we get a full car shot soon??!

Comment

Good to see parts of a 5exi.
        How about the whole car?

Comment

Hi, sent you a PM

Comment

Interesting to see a different challenge,

can you explain the fan shape drawings please.

Just curious really.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks David.

Comment

Ben Caswell. The "fan" drawings was just the working out of the pivot points I needed to change/consider when understanding the amount of throw I was getting at the gear lever. It was HUGE! Loose cable mountings didn't help but after sorting these and improving cable rod alignment (as some were working at quite extreme angles), I realised that I had to make further mods.
                By changing the pivot height for the cable at the back of the bulkhead and cutting the gearstick down by 58mm (re-threaded after of course) I got a gear nice selection going on...

Comment

Happy_Dave / djj_Engineer
                  This was the car when I picked it up. More up to date photos to follow after I have finished phase one refurb.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am sooo jealous, no not of the car but you have a hairbrush under your steering wheel, that must mean you still have Hair!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leadfoot View Post
                      Ben Caswell. The "fan" drawings was just the working out of the pivot points I needed to change/consider when understanding the amount of throw I was getting at the gear lever. It was HUGE! Loose cable mountings didn't help but after sorting these and improving cable rod alignment (as some were working at quite extreme angles), I realised that I had to make further mods.
                      By changing the pivot height for the cable at the back of the bulkhead and cutting the gearstick down by 58mm (re-threaded after of course) I got a gear nice selection going on...
                      Thanks for the explanation had me confused.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                        I am sooo jealous, no not of the car but you have a hairbrush under your steering wheel, that must mean you still have Hair!!!
                        The hairbrush belongs to my good lady. I am, as they say, "Follicly challenged" so no need for jealousy. However, when the car is finished, hopefully I'll see a little of the green eyed monster..?

Comment

20160823_204220-1.jpg
                          20160807_140011-1.jpg
                          20160806_202623-1.jpg

Tried my hand at repairing the torn panel in my seat. Not bad for a first attempt at upholstery. Just got to paint the harness grommets black before gluing them in.

Comment

20170226_162846.jpg

Been working on adding a new circuit into the car so I can charge phones and a satnav. The little panel also has a separate voltmeter. It cost £7.30 which is £1.20 cheaper than Auto Electrical Supplies charge just for the exact same phone USB socket on its own!
                            Anyway, being more mechanical than electrical, I gave it a go and it works great.
                            Now to get it installed in situ.

Comment

20170130_084324.jpg
                              20170224_145853.jpg
                              20170202_205035.jpg
                              20170204_161840-1.jpg

Been thinking about making my own rear spoiler for the 5exi. As an exercise, I made a hot wire foam cutter with some wood, 0.8mm mig wire, springs and a battery charger. Have cut some foam and as it's turned out well, I may just carry on with the project...

Comment

Working...
                              X