Triumph twin Strombergs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Triumph twin Strombergs...

Its just like people say if it isn't broke don't try and fix it, I use any method I can to get results.
    Modern engine? yes its a 1987 Ford Pinto 2 litre (liter) SOHC EFi 205 block, that's modern to me. Ben I admire your determination and perseverance you must come and play with my EFi one day, and bring your bulb. smiley face, and light bulb.
    Does anyone else remember Shaw Taylor and the Silver Wheel Club showed people how to tune their engines and repair their cars, as there were no recording facilities available all work was carried out on Saturday morning, after a few jars on a Friday night! Monday morning the phone never stopped ringing in the garage and the conversation went ,"well it was all right on Friday but now it wont start", great times!

Seriously, try anything within your means to get results, I don't recommend whipping off your missus tights to use as a fan belt, you might catch a cold.

Comment

This is a final post to close off this thread

At the end of last summer I noticed the cold start mechanism (choke) was weeping fuel so as it was the end of the summer I parked the car and forgot about it.

Back onto it a few weeks back I called the very helpful people at Burlen and they told me that their gasket kits for CD150's don't contain the gasket between the two parts for the choke, as it's not strictly part of the carb. So I ordered one, well two actually.

So a few hours swearing and bleeding today and I've had the front carb off, new gasket fitted and all back on. Reset up the throttle and choke cables and links, with a couple of new bolts on the throttle spindle clamps while I was there and all back together.

Ran the car up with choke on, no leaks and even running, once warmed up I took her up and down the drive a couple of times, all running well, temperature stable so all good.

I did however spot that the fan in the nose is blowing forwards, what idiot did that. Next week I'll be getting the good people at Coolex to build a new radiator with fan anyway so chose to ignore that issue.

So we can close this out, I now have fully working, non leaking CD150 SE's from a later GT6 with matching throttle linkage and pedal etc on the Vitesse MK2 motor.

That's about a year from the initial purchase of the supposedly reconditioned carbs from the cowboy named xxxxx, well PM me before buying carbs and I'll warn you off if you're talking to the same guy!

Thanks for everyone's input and help.
      Last edited by David; 28-05-17, 05:17 PM.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Well done David,Glad you got there in the end
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
        X