Triumph twin Strombergs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Triumph twin Strombergs...

Dont forget that both cylinder 1 and 6 are at TDC - so you have to check which one has its valves closed and thats the cylinder which needs to be firing !!

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
      Dont forget that both cylinder 1 and 6 are at TDC - so you have to check which one has its valves closed and thats the cylinder which needs to be firing !!
      Thanks for the reminder. 99% sure we're OK on that.

I'm just wondering if the main jet/needle is screwed right down as delivered so will check tomorrow. I have the tool to adjust so maybe just not getting enough field flowing.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but I have been caught out many times by ignoring the obvious. With all the fiddling around with carb swaps etc, is the choke still working?

Comment

I know some people regard this as heresy or abuse but why don't you try some Easystart. If it goes with that then the problem is fuel if it doesn't then it's probably the ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.branson76 View Post
            I know some people regard this as heresy or abuse but why don't you try some Easystart. If it goes with that then the problem is fuel if it doesn't then it's probably the ignition.
            Good call.

David if you want some, I have a can.

I know heritic.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
              Good call.

David if you want some, I have a can.

I know heritic.

Adrian
              Oops just checked can empty.

Apologies for raising hope.

Halfords are open at ten, may see you there to get a new can.

Adrian

Comment

Carb clean works as well to start engines too !!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                  Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but I have been caught out many times by ignoring the obvious. With all the fiddling around with carb swaps etc, is the choke still working?
                  This is where I'm at now, the choke is connected and appears to be working but it's really the last thing to look at as everything else is just fine. As the rear carb had a sticking float chamber valve and plastic IN the float chamber it hasn't given me a lot of confidence that the other carb is 100% OK.

Easy start is a good idea Tony/Adrian, I will have to try that on Tuesday evening. Will also be calling the carb refurb guy to ask if it's possible somethings amiss with the choke mechanism. I suppose the Easy Start will give me some clue on that issue.

Summary video https://youtu.be/GJ6z9DxGYxI.

Day two, failed again, more beer needed.

David.
                  Last edited by David; 28-08-16, 04:43 PM.
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

It's strange that you don't get any attempt to fire up. So back to the electrics. If you put a meter on the coil do you get 12v when you turn the ignition on? If yes do you get a voltage reading when cranking? I know it will be less than 12v but if no volts then check that it isn't wired for a ballast resistor / cold start system but with the ballast resistor, or wiring to it, open circuit. Just a thought. If all ok then report back and have another beer! Peter.

Comment

It's strange that you don't get any attempt to fire up. So back to the electrics. If you put a meter on the coil do you get 12v when you turn the ignition on? If yes do you get a voltage reading when cranking? I know it will be less than 12v but if no volts then check that it isn't wired for a ballast resistor / cold start system but with the ballast resistor, or wiring to it, open circuit. Just a thought. If all ok then report back and have another beer! Peter.
                      Thanks Peter,

All the electrics are working fine, sparks visible on all plugs when taken out and grounded on the head. I will check the voltage though, is it possible I see spark in daylight but there's none when the plug is in the cylinder? Or is it possible that there's 'not enough spark, not in my experiance?

No ballast resister on the setup as working previously.

Beer number two about to kick in.

Comment

After beer 3/4 it should be obvious!!!

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                          After beer 3/4 it should be obvious!!!

Hugh, that's not how you spell oblivious!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                            Thanks Peter,

All the electrics are working fine, sparks visible on all plugs when taken out and grounded on the head. I will check the voltage though, is it possible I see spark in daylight but there's none when the plug is in the cylinder? Or is it possible that there's 'not enough spark, not in my experiance?

No ballast resister on the setup as working previously.

Beer number two about to kick in.
                            A spark with the plugs in free air doesn't always guarantee a good spark under cylinder compression. I seem to remember reading that the spark should be really blue. If it's yellowish then not good. Maybe try substituting the coil for a known good one etc. Another thought. Did you remove the distributor? Has it been replaced 180deg out of register so every cylinder is trying to fire on the exhaust stroke say?

On a different tack I am not familiar with Strombergs as I had twin SUs on my old TR3A but looking at your original photos it seems that air can go through the top rectangular port, possibly feeding the diaphragm that controls the fuel jet metering needle? Is there any chance that the gaskets are on the wrong way up thereby blocking those ports? However if all is correct why not try fitting the old carbs temporarily. It seems strange that you don't even get the engine making an attempt to fire. Even with plug leads totally mixed up you would expect to get at least one of the pots trying to fire, or even backfire through the carb.

Time to finish the 6 pack! Peter.

Comment

When you turn it over with the plugs out you should be able to smell petrol escaping from the plug hole.

Is it making any attempt to fire? If you had a problem with the leads being muddled up or the dizzy being a long way out I would expect to hear pops and bangs as the fuel gets ignited at the wrong time.
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hugh, that's not how you spell oblivious!
                                I'd had 3/4!!

Comment

Working...
                                X