Marina prop shaft and UJs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina prop shaft and UJs

My LWB 1275cc Marina engined Roadster needs a new rear UJ. On taking off the prop shaft I was surprised to see that the splined telescopic part was at the back by the diff. I was expecting it to be at gearbox end, don't know why - does it matter? My second observation was the lack of a grease nipple on the telescopic part. I know some do and some don't - year of manufacture maybe. I gave the sliding part a few gentle wacks so I could take it off to give the spline a good greasing. It was reluctant to come off so I gave up.
    Should this part come off easily?
    Franklin.
    Franklin, Leicester

Re: Marina prop shaft and UJs

Me again, I should have mentioned that I intend to do a DIY refurb job on the knackered UJ and also the "good" end too while I'm at it.
    I think they come in sets of 2.
    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I recall my A series based MK2 car having the splines the axle end and they should slide fairly easily for obvious reasons.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Franklin,I realise you would like to refurb yourself but I think these people are just down the road from you http://www.mjcengineering.co.uk/ they may be able to help.

Comment

If I recall (and I am talking about mid 1970's) my 1300 Marina UJ went and it had to be machined out as it is crimped in not circlips - the guy who did it fitted it with circlip grooves. Also no grease nipple as they were sealed brgs. This last fact is more vague.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. Yes Angus, they are 15 minutes drive from me. I'll give them a call.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Put the splined end at the gearbox. It gets less shaken about and lasts a lot longer but def. grease nipples on the joints and spline.

Comment

Beware that some grease nipples get swiped off, particularly when the suspension is on full travel, not at maximum load, but when the prop is at the extreme angle as the rear axle/suspension is unloaded.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks for these further comments and advice. I have contacted MJC Eng'g as Angus suggests and will take it tomorrow morning and ask about grease nipples etc.
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Left the shaft with them to do a full refurb, balance, the lot. £118 + VAT.
                    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
                    X