Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

They say it never rains but it pours. Halfway through overhauling my rear wheel bearings and CV joints I have just noticed that the front nearside GAZ damper has been leaking badly!

Not difficult things to replace if you have the correct part. No part number visible with it fitted so my question is, does anyone know the GAZ part number for the Cabrio front coil overs? Also do they come with springs fitted or do you use your old ones? If they come with new springs what size / rating is correct? Peter.

Re: Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

I think I need one as well I noticed today that my nearside one had a weep and so did I!!!

Comment

GP6 -2338 is the Gaz part number on mine

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
        GP6 -2338 is the Gaz part number on mine
        Many thanks for that. Is the P/No on a label or stamped on? What is the location, so I know where I am supposed to be looking? Peter.

Comment

Anyone know what the fully open and closed dimensions need to be for the Cabrio? At the moment the car is jacked up at the rear and the "at rest" length across the securing bolts is about 12". Until I have finished the rear suspension job I don't want to try and access the front! It would be good however to order the parts asap as delivery time from Burton's is 31 days! For AVO it is only 8 days but I would prefer to replace like with like to avoid any other compatibility issues. Also I have been very happy with the GAZ.

Mine have 2"dia body, 12mm fixing bolts, polyflex type bushes, 12mm dia piston rod and 2.25" internal diameter springs. Peter.

Comment

Rally Design sell Gaz shocks also. Perhaps quicker delivery?

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
              Rally Design sell Gaz shocks also. Perhaps quicker delivery?
              That's useful to know thanks.When I have all the data I will give them a ring. Apparently GAZ make things to order, hence the long lead times! Peter.

Comment

Part number is stamped into upper portion of damper body. Difficult to see/read with spring in place . I have receipt for replacement and number is also logged in the old grey cells!

Comment

Part number is stamped into upper portion of damper body. Difficult to see/read with spring in place . I have receipt for replacement and number is also logged in the old grey cells!
                  Many thanks. Will have a look when I can get to them. Where do you get your old grey cells? Mine don't seem to work as wel as they used to!

Comment

This post is on behalf of a fellow club member who also has a leaking front shock absorber. Apparently the GP6-2338 part number quoted earlier didn't mean anything to GAZ but they are searching through old records to see if they can find it. I think the only option is to remove the unit, take off the spring (using a spring compressor unless you like living life on the edge!) and find the part number. At the same time the open and closed lengths can be measured along with the threaded body diameter (2") and the piston rod diameter. This should enable a compatible replacement to be found. Should you replace the other side at the same time? What do people think?

Comment

"Should you replace the other side at the same time? What do people think?"

I always do
                      Stumbling around in the dark
                      Marina based SWB roadster
                      Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Here is an excerpt from the Rally Design 2014 catalogue which explains Gaz coil over part numbers. Keep in mind that it is 2014 prices.

Photo011.jpg

When I replaced the front coil overs on my Sierra Berlinetta (which some say has the same front suspension as the Cabrio) I fitted Gaz G130/090B12-2.

Comment

The ride height on mine is about an inch to high so I will take the opportunity to sort this out as well [thats with the shocker on its lowest setting]

Comment

Surprised Gaz don't recognise part number as I have had two sets [for 2 cabrio's] off them. Also managed to read number on my shocks just to be sure and correct as GP6 2338

Comment

Surprised Gaz don't recognise part number as I have had two sets [for 2 cabrio's] off them. Also managed to read number on my shocks just to be sure and correct as GP6 2338
                              Many thanks for that. I have now located my p/no but for previous reasons given cannot read it yet. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X