Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

Originally posted by scott h View Post
    Here is an excerpt from the Rally Design 2014 catalogue which explains Gaz coil over part numbers. Keep in mind that it is 2014 prices........

....... When I replaced the front coil overs on my Sierra Berlinetta (which some say has the same front suspension as the Cabrio) I fitted Gaz G130/090B12-2.
    That's really useful thanks Scott. After I re-adjusted my (too low) ride height there is quite a lot of thread below the bottom spring pan. I notice that Rally Design ask you to specify what spring rate. I had assumed that I would have to use my existing springs but if going new how can I find out what rate the existing springs are ???? (All this would have been so easy if Marlin had supplied a list of parts used, especially as it is a factory built car! But hey ho the joys of owning one). Peter.

Comment

Spring rate can be calculated by measuring the wire diameter, number of coils not including the 'faced' ends , inside and outside diameter and free length.
      From memory I think mine came out at about 190 lbs [based on my calculations!] but I do know they can vary as Derek Jones did have a thread going some time back in an attempt to draw some conclusions.

Comment

Based on a spring dia of 3", wire dia of 3/8" and 7 active coils I calculated my spring rate to be around 225lb/in. As an aside, GAZ have now identified the GP6 2338 part number as a special apparently.

Comment

In my oval racing days we would check spring rates using bathroom scales. Place the scales on a bench or table. Place the spring on top. Using a large G clamp from under the table to the top of the spring, compress the spring one inch and read the scales in pounds. The rate of a spring is expressed as pounds per inch of compression. Just don't tell health and safety!

Comment

See thread 9th October 2014 coil over shockers, Mine were from Dampertech.

Comment

Many thanks to all for the ongoing info. My springs have 2.25" internal diameter, 9mm diameter wire and 8 coils (but I may have included the faced ends) so looks promising.

Now back down to the man cave to try and get the rear suspension / drive shafts job finished asap. I just love the bathroom scales idea. That's my type of engineering! Trouble is my scales have a glass top . Peter.

Comment

Part number has been confirmed by John Mulvaney as correct. They are specials which is why they didn't initially recognise the part number. Good luck all!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                  That's really useful thanks Scott. After I re-adjusted my (too low) ride height there is quite a lot of thread below the bottom spring pan. I notice that Rally Design ask you to specify what spring rate. I had assumed that I would have to use my existing springs but if going new how can I find out what rate the existing springs are ???? (All this would have been so easy if Marlin had supplied a list of parts used, especially as it is a factory built car! But hey ho the joys of owning one). Peter.
                  I think the spring rate is only required if you are buying springs aswell as dampers. If you are happy with your original springs then just use them.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                    Replaced my front shocks a couple of years ago. posted info to a thread at the time titled "Coil Over Shockers" in 2014.
                    Here it is as posted, i hope it helps.

I had to change my front shocks earlier this year. I to have AVO shocks. I contacted AVO UK (01604 708101) Caswell Rd. Brackmills Industrial Estate.NORTHAMPTON. NN4 7PW.
                    I purchased a pair of Aluminium bodied shocks. The AVO stock code was:- APF130/090. Described as :-ALLOY 2.25 SINGLE ADJ POLY BUSH. The cost was £288 delivered 09/06/2014.
                    The open length is 13 inches, closed 10.5 inches, eye centre to eye centre.
                    I had previously purchased a new pair of springs, these were AVO stock code:- E9250. Described as:- 2.25 COIL SPRING.
                    These were 9 inches in height 2.25 ID and rated at 250lb. The cost was £67.68 delivered.
                    The service I received from AVO was excellent. The staff friendly and very knowledgeable. Delivery very quick.
                    If doing the work yourself, use good spring compressors, it can be very dangerous removing the springs from the shock bodies. TAKE GREAT CARE.
                    I have a Rover V8 in my short bodied Cabrio, and the AVO shocks, set at 4 clicks, with the 250lb springs are a great combination.
                    I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
                    Mike Woodley

Comment

Many thanks Mike W. That's really useful info. Although I would prefer to stick to GAZ for known performance characteristics their long lead time does rather put me off. Peter.

Comment

Yes thanks Mike W when I get back I will investigate the front shocks as well no idea whose make they are but a failure at 34 K is not right I have been spoiled by Jags etc who seem to go on forever

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
                          Yes thanks Mike W when I get back I will investigate the front shocks as well no idea whose make they are but a failure at 34 K is not right I have been spoiled by Jags etc who seem to go on forever
                          Mine has just ticked over 40k but not sure if the fronts are original though. However it occurs to me that the car is actually 18 years old now and I think the fact that unlike a modern every day one our cars can spend more of their life standing still, folllowed by “energetic” use. That may have a bearing on failures? Peter.

Comment

On one of our meets I discussed with Dave Kitson the fact that the front springs were very near to being coil bound. At least with some deflection they would be.
                            My work with Tolkien has led me to replace all the coil springs and the biggest difference seems to be the initial length and the number of turns. The length reduced by an inch and the number of turns by 2,
                            If you did the same with the front of the Cabrio I think they may become a bit more progressive
                            I do know that some current manufacturers fit their cars with plates to stop the broken springs from deflating the front tyres but this tends to be with Diablo style springs and not the parallel type we use on the Cabrio

Comment

Also- there seem yo be 2 lengths of front spring. the early cars like mine and the later cars like Daves

Comment

My GAZ part number is GP3116 B12E06. Need to take one off and get the spring off to check the open / closed lengths.

With my car on the wheels (and the steering arms level) mine measures 11.75" between the fixing bolts and the loaded spring length is 5.2".

Mike (Woodley) I have sent you an email requesting a few extra measurements of your AVOs please. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                                X