Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

I am starting a new thread with Cabrio Coilover data that I have gleaned so far. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
      Surprised Gaz don't recognise part number as I have had two sets [for 2 cabrio's] off them. Also managed to read number on my shocks just to be sure and correct as GP6 2338
      The GAZ tech people are mostly away on holiday so at their suggestion I had a good chat with David at Dampertech who seem to be their main distributor.

It seems that he may have a couple of standard units that will fit but for checking spring rates he needs his PC which is playing up. Chap coming to fix it tonight so hopefully more info tomorrow. It would be a real bonus to get something off the shelf!

Meantime do you have any paperwork for your GP 2338 as I would like to know the fully open and fully closed dimensions for them? Peter

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
        The GAZ tech people are mostly away on holiday so at their suggestion I had a good chat with David at Dampertech who seem to be their main distributor.

It seems that he may have a couple of standard units that will fit but for checking spring rates he needs his PC which is playing up. Chap coming to fix it tonight so hopefully more info tomorrow. It would be a real bonus to get something off the shelf!

Meantime do you have any paperwork for your GP 2338 as I would like to know the fully open and fully closed dimensions for them? Peter
        Well I would need a pair as well but same as you mine are still on the car I am less than happy with my spring rate front and rear as I feel the ride isnt compliant enough

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post

Hi Peter

If this guy can bring some genuine science to what springs would be better (front and rear), there may be a bulk buy to be had here?

Mike

Comment

I personally don't see much of a problem with the rear spring rate. I have been tempted in the past to adopt the Lotus way of thinking and use a softer spring on the front [around 150 lbs] and click the damper setting up . At present its set on two clicks off softest.
            Just my theory guys! One day I'll get round to actually working it out .

Comment

I have a C4 corvette It has been lowered and it has full electronic adjustable suspension it handles better on the softer settings than the harder settings it seems that the tyre does not lose contact as much on the softer settings. The Marlin is very similar on the rear its springs were designed for a fairly heavy sierra and now have a light Marlin its like sitting in a brick at times!!

Comment

Weight given for Ford Sierra 2.0 litre is 1105 kgs split 47/53. This equates to 585 kgs over the rear axle.
                Those that have put their Cabrio's on weighbridge seem to average out around 530kgs so not a million miles out if you believe the figures.
                I think this backs up my claim for there not being much wrong at the rear! Unless you know different!!!!!!!

Comment

Well its obvious really five door car designed to carry 5 people and luggage sprung accordingly. 2 door lightweight marlin designed to carry 2 people and in some cases no luggage it bounces around a lot because its springs are a mite to hard and can stop the shockers working.
                  I will remove the units over the winter after weighing the car front and rear and all up weight. In the past we have had springs made by a local company to very good effect so I will see what they can do for me to improve handling and ride comfort.
                  Chris AT who has the garage around the corner from mine builds rally cars, he had a go in it and told me its to hard for its own good so I will take his word for it

Comment

Part of the compliance in the suspension is in the tyre sidewall. Anything over 18 to 20 psi contributes to a more jittery ride IMHO. David

Comment

FWIW mine rides best (albeit somewhat hard) at 18 psi all round

Comment

Yes David when I bought it the TP was 28 filled it with petrol and dropped them to 20 psi I will sort the rest out over winter paintwork and suspension and maybe a LPG conversion

Comment

My coilovers are in stock and reserved at Dampertech. One old spring sent to them today for them to check spring rate. Pointless guessing and buying the wrong ones. After all the delay what's another couple of days! Meantime opportunity to complete the engine & gearbox oil change. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                            Weight given for Ford Sierra 2.0 litre is 1105 kgs split 47/53. This equates to 585 kgs over the rear axle.
                            Those that have put their Cabrio's on weighbridge seem to average out around 530kgs so not a million miles out if you believe the figures.
                            I think this backs up my claim for there not being much wrong at the rear! Unless you know different!!!!!!!
                            Alan

I don't know who said it, but "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics!"

My understanding is that all Sierra saloons (3&5 door cars, excluding estates) had the same springs, so presumably these were suitable for the heaviest cars as well as the lighter ones. Throughout its production cycle the Sierra put on weight (bit like me really!), so that by the end of its days it was up to 1240kg according to Haines manual.
                            Then as Peter has highlighted it was capable of carrying 5 adults and a boot full of luggage.

Even if you ignore the additional passenger weight, the figures can be made to show that there is a significant difference between the Sierra and our Cabrios.

At IVA my Cabrio weighed in at 960kg.
                            Using your split of 47/53 - I didn't get one for my Cabrio - puts my back end at around 500kg.
                            If you take the higher weight for the Sierra (1240kg)- the comparable figure is over 650kgs.

This suggests my cabrio is at least 25% lighter - and that's ignoring the passenger/luggage factor, which one could argue is significant.

The problem we all face is that any new springs will involve trial and error, and even if someone finds the elusive nirvana then I suspect it would still not be to everyone preference?

That said, there is a common view that "lighter" duty springs (whatever that may mean to each of us) should be a good upgrade.

In my own case I know it would probably lead to bottoming out problems with my underbody exhausts - unless I could design and produce progressive springs - but that's a whole new can of worms!

I like the idea, but will watch what others do first!

- Go for it Peterboat!!

Comment

Mike
                              As you point out, statistics can be 'adjusted' to work both in your favour or against it.
                              Makes for an interesting discussion non the less!
                              Anyone know what a wheel, hub, disc and caliper weigh on Cabrio ?

Comment

I will endevour to have something better than what we have! In the past we have had some great springs made for cars which really made a difference to the comfort and handling so fingers crossed for Marly

Comment

Working...
                                X