Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prices going up !!!

Another one !!

Looking for a classic Marlin Sportster? Find your perfect car on ClassicCarsforSale.co.uk, the UK's best marketplace for buyers and traders.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmm,think I'll put mine up as a bargain at £15.000.00. for a quick sale !!

Comment

Well, advertised prices maybe going up but that light blue one at least has been up for 12k for months and months with no takers.

Happy to sell my Roadster, I'll advertise it at 20k
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I looked at a few before I bought mine most are daydream prices. when you get there the car isnt worth the money, The BMW engined one has had a bottom end rebuild no rebore, or top end work or rings even so its hardly a fully built engine is it?

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
            I think that advertised prices are going up but I don't think achieved prices are, as can be seen from the light blue Sportster that has remained un-sold for sometime.

The red one was my car and I sold it in March 2013 for £12,500. The current owner tried to sell it for twice that price about six months later and since then it has been off the road and not MOT'd until recently. I have no idea why he thought it was worth that much or why the car was not used in the last 3 years.
            He's now dropped the price but I reckon it's still over priced by about £4k.

Apart from one typo, the current advert wording is identical to my advert 3 years ago!

Funny old world............

Comment

On a more general point; does the Club track selling prices in any formal way? I know that by their nature the specification, build quality and condition of Marlins can vary widely but it would be useful for buyers and sellers to have some indication of a range of prices.

Comment

Hi
                We don't track prices, They do seem to be going up, especially car sold from 'motor dealers' which can be twice the 'normal' sale price.
                As each car is built to different specs they are very difficult to compare and give a price. Even a range of prices is difficult when you consider that some cars were factory built and could be in excess of £30.000 to build!

Comment

on the market of "niche vehicles" its difficult to evaluate the real value of a car.

comming to kitcars it will be even more difficult. kitcars, imo, have no real value and they will never achieve this status becomming valuable collector-cars.

sure, lotus also started with kitcars (lotus six , lotus seven), but chapman sold the kits to finance the racing...and with racing lotus became famous and with becomming famous the cars (even they had been built from a kit) become valuable.

but i do not see any other kit-manufacturer in the past 30years having reached the same status.

buy a kit, built it to a high standard and successfully put it through IVA, Mot with a final registration --> summarize all the costs involved in the built and try to sell it half year later: for a quick sale you might be lucky to achieve 50% of the built costs ...if you have time you might achieve 60-70%.

at the end of the day building / driving / maintaining a kitcar is always a money-pit...you never get your investment back.

this said, its the same as restoring a mass-produced car:

invest 20.000 for restoring a 70ies Opel Commodore...the value will be still half the money invested
                  invest 20.000 for restoring a 70ies Mercedes S...you might achieve a sales price which covers your costs.

Comment

Buying a running any car is a money pit. It's only the rare desirable cars that hold their value. Having said that mine'so probably worth as much as it was when I built it 30 years ago.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Is it all about value? It's not for me.

I buy vehicles because I am attracted to the image, none of my current collection are Euroboxes unless you class a Mercedes SLK as one.

The value is in the maintaining and driving, the enjoyment you get from that, and the admiring glances, the opportunity to chat to the curios.
                      Its not the speed, it's the Smiles Per Hour.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Is it all about value? It's not for me.

I buy vehicles because I am attracted to the image, none of my current collection are Euroboxes unless you class a Mercedes SLK as one.

The value is in the maintaining and driving, the enjoyment you get from that, and the admiring glances, the opportunity to chat to the curios.
                        Its not the speed, it's the Smiles Per Hour.
                        Agreed :-D
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I think this has been stuck here long enough. Any car is worth what the buyer is prepared to pay on the day. Sadly Marlins for sale in the UK have not gone up very much in the last twenty odd years, in fact some the opposite.

Comment

If you think of your Marlin as a "Money Pit" then its time to get rid, its the pleasure of maintaining and driving that is the value.
                            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Spot on Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X