Buying Club goods online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Club goods online

I know that a few folks would like to be able to buy club goods online. We list some items online and it is on my “Things To Do” (TTD) list to update that. It seems the technology is available to implement online ordering but there is an issue about costs.

The club committee has always taken the line that club goods are a member benefit not a source of revenue. So goods are sold to members at about the same cost as paid to the supplier plus postage where needed. The club goods administrator gives his time for free. The web administrator is also free but not as proficient.

The problem is that any online payment system will take a cut of any transactions.

If we maintain our current ethos online purchases will have be 10-20% more than other purchase methods.

It is difficult to judge how many people would want to make purchases online. I understand that buying goods at Stoneleigh, with cash, is currently the most popular method as people can view the goods and avoid postage. Almost nobody as ordered any goods via the website.

So what do members think:
    Is it ok to charge 20% extra for the convenience of online purchases?
    Should we increase the cost of goods by 20% across the board and bolster club funds a little?
    Should we drop the Club Goods part of the web site (easiest option for me and another item off the TTD)?

Paul
    Webmaster

Re: Buying Club goods online

I am for the first two.

Adrian

Comment

Club Goods, as a member benefit, currently only reach about 10% of the total membership at the AGM and most of them are regular attendees, not newcomers who I guess would be the biggest purchasers.
      So 90% of the total membership could benefit if online sales were more proficient. Many are put off by the current clunky method, when compared with eBay etc, 'Click, Click, Bought' is so easy.

I wonder how the introduction of Paypal impacted on new members, do we see significant numbers, or do most still join by Post, and Standing Order etc. that would be a reasonable indicator.

And for once I agree with Adrian.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

First two for me too. I'm a new member. There are a few items I'd like but I've been putting it off because of the process. If online purchasing was available I would undoubtedly have ordered already.

Comment

1 & 2 have my vote

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

It’s really difficult to get accurate stats for forum usage because people don’t always sign in to read them. It could be as low as 10% if the members that have made 1 or more appends this year is anything to go by. About 16% signed up with PayPal this year. I would expect that number to rise in the coming years. There could also be non-members that would like to purchase goods.

It is very unlikely to be 90% of members that would benefit unless we find a really whizzy product that everyone just has to buy every year. In the meantime there are only so many sweatshirts a member and their partner will need.

There is an inherent bias by asking the question here. I can’t think of a way to get feedback from non-online members. If we increase prices by 20% across the board perhaps as many as 90% of members might feel aggrieved.

People do ask John, our goods tsar, to bring goods to various other meetings throughout the year. Some people have sent cheques for goods to be posted. By making buying easier I think it will cause John more work especially when overseas postage is required.

Paul

Comment

I just made a purchase and the process was easy enough. For me being able to complete the process electronically was good, even if it was via email and bank transfer.
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

PS getting the website updated to reflect what's available would help.

Comment

I have not owned a cheque book for years, yes transfers can be done online through my bank, but it's a longer process than PayPal which is set up for purchases rather than money transfers.
                  I agree that 90% of the members will not buy every year, but neither does every member who attends the AGM.
                  Those who are more likely to buy are the 10-15% ( of total membership) of new joining members every year, again and again.

So far as extra work goes, yes more sales will mean extra work, inevitably, but that can be mitigated by creating an eBay shop, where much of the process is automated, from accounting to address labels. An eBay shop has the advantages of protecting both the buyer and seller if correct procedures are adopted. Postage can be arranged via services like MyHermes who will come to collect, so no going backwards and forwards to the bank or post office.

The great downside will be that it would be a whole new learning curve, for a process that has been totally manual from its inception, but there are a myriad of small Ebay traders out there who seem to manage just fine.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I still think its a mountain to crack a molehill! Having done club goods for a number of years the amount sold during the year is very little.
                    Most sales are at Stoneleigh and £450 for a weekend is really good. The rest of the year I would be lucky to get £100 including calendar sales.
                    I certainly would not buy anything if it involves pay pal. Also prices for some goods have gone up but are not necessarily correct on the website.
                    Pitstop prices are more accurate as its easier to alter with Editors help.
                    Anyway thats my thoughts

Comment

As a comparison

ASCO Singer no paypal or online shop
                      A35 no paypal for UK or online shop, paypal for overseas customers only must be a good reason for this
                      Morris Minor no paypal have online shop able to pay by card by filling out form
                      Land Rover Series One paypal available but they sell higher value remanufactured parts as well

An Ebay shop seems a step to far as people would have to type in Marlin Goods / Regalia into search facility I would guess this number would be very low. Anyone searching Marlin on Ebay would most likely be looking at the possible purchase of a car.

Personally I much prefer to speak to someone about purchasing club goods either at an event or by phone or lastly by E Mail, if this leads to talking about other things I consider this a worthwhile bonus.

Would all members be happy with a 20% increase on club goods to accommodate paypal ?, would club goods be available at less 20% if paying cash or bank transfer ?

It appears that around £550.00 is the present turnover on club goods, I would imagine that doubling this would be rather ambitious. I do not know or need to know the profit margin but it seems it would need to be rather high to make it worthwhile doing.

Regards
                      Dave

Comment

As I said the current system works quite well, my only issue was that the website site is put of date.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                          As I said the current system works quite well, my only issue was that the website site is put of date.
                          'out'

Properly set up, an MOC eBay shop, can be found quickly, for the first time, then saved as favourite, never lost again. A simple link to the shop could be attached to the Membership sign-up page and scattered about the forum and in committee members personal forum signatures that would make it readily accesible and memorable for the future.

eBay shops allow for.
                          Prices and postage rates easily changed on eBay.
                          Stock, automatically updated at each purchase with eBay.
                          I know, I run a hobby eBay shop from Spain, successfully selling specific Spanish goods worldwide, at a profit.

Is it overkill? Maybe, but surely the MOC should be the best, setting an example for the other Clubs, an example of excellence for less imaginative clubs to follow.
                          Or are the MOC content with being mediocre, or below average at best?

If you had no other knowledge than eBay prices, and if the product is correctly marketed, a prospective customer would have no idea whether there was a 0% or 1000% markup on cost. There would be plenty of buyers, because they won't be able to buy the same branded product elsewhere, especially if the MOC defend the Club Brand/Logo as they claim to do!

As somebody pointed out earlier, you don't have to be a MOC member to buy club goods. Not every Marlin owner is an MOC member, but they are all potential sourcs of revenue for the MOC. Why should they be neglected?

I struggle with the apparent lack of enthusiasm. Back in the days of Sue Roedel etc. these ideas might have been progressed, but now change is apparently frowned upon by the establishment. Perhaps the reason Sue is no longer with us?
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Sue Roedel ummm loved her avatar!

Comment

First two for me, also not had a cheque book for years.

I would have made several purchases online by now if I could.

Setting up a Paypal website payment option is trivial if you use the Paypal buttons. Ten minutes on Paypals site to setup the buttons and 2 minutes to copy and paste them to the relevant web page!

David.
                              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                              X