Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio Door locks

Hi All,

When I first built my Rover V8 Cabrio V8 NDB, I had an issue with the door locks. I could only lock the car from the passenger door, trying to lock from the drivers door the actuating plunger
    will rise to the locked position but would not stop and drops down to the open position.

Now I have finally got around to trying to sort this out, and at the same time fit new stronger wire links from the door lock & handle to the levers, as the old ones were a little too thin and started to bend out of shape.

I firstly did the drivers door, new wire links were fabricated and fitted ( after much removal/refitting to get length and angles correct), and to find the sweet spot on both the locking lever and the extension from the lock barrel where the key functions fully for both locking and unlocking. Same problem so I took the switch casing apart to investigate and all looked fine, re assembled and drivers door was working correctly.

Hallelulia I thought, but I should have known better, she is not called Pandora for nothing, now the passenger door does not work giving exactly the same symptoms as the drivers door, however, new wire links were made to find the sweet spot and again, after much removal fettling & re-fitting the passenger door now works perfectly!!!! But, now the drivers door has stopped working???? Disconnecting the electrical plug in the passenger door allows the drivers door to function correctly, suggesting the wire links are correct on BOTH doors, and that the problem must be electrical. I therefore took the electrical connector and swapped the two return wires, no different. Having now spent 3.5 days trying to sort this out I am kinda fed up and stumped, does anyone out there have any clue as to why this is happening????

Any help would e much appreciated.

Regards to all

Norman Ball

Re: Cabrio Door locks

What are the door locks from, Ford Sierra?
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by norman ball192 View Post
      Hi All,

When I first built my Rover V8 Cabrio V8 NDB, I had an issue with the door locks. I could only lock the car from the passenger door, trying to lock from the drivers door the actuating plunger
      will rise to the locked position but would not stop and drops down to the open position.

Now I have finally got around to trying to sort this out, and at the same time fit new stronger wire links from the door lock & handle to the levers, as the old ones were a little too thin and started to bend out of shape.

I firstly did the drivers door, new wire links were fabricated and fitted ( after much removal/refitting to get length and angles correct), and to find the sweet spot on both the locking lever and the extension from the lock barrel where the key functions fully for both locking and unlocking. Same problem so I took the switch casing apart to investigate and all looked fine, re assembled and drivers door was working correctly.

Hallelulia I thought, but I should have known better, she is not called Pandora for nothing, now the passenger door does not work giving exactly the same symptoms as the drivers door, however, new wire links were made to find the sweet spot and again, after much removal fettling & re-fitting the passenger door now works perfectly!!!! But, now the drivers door has stopped working???? Disconnecting the electrical plug in the passenger door allows the drivers door to function correctly, suggesting the wire links are correct on BOTH doors, and that the problem must be electrical. I therefore took the electrical connector and swapped the two return wires, no different. Having now spent 3.5 days trying to sort this out I am kinda fed up and stumped, does anyone out there have any clue as to why this is happening????

Any help would e much appreciated.

Regards to all

Norman Ball
      Norman did you ever sort this problem out? Mine has been off the road for winter and is doing the same!! I am going back this afternoon to have another play but its really annoying as it was perfik in December

Comment

Well yesterday and today was spent playing with the lock [not all the time] it turns out its the passenger cable from the internal release to the lock that is sticking! I have freed it off but and it works ok but I would like a new one as I suspect the real issue is the cable isnt long enough and cant be secured properly to the door to give a smoother run.
        So the question is is this cable off a sierra if so it would be nice to know where I can get a new one from I suspect Mr Ford is going to fall over laughing at me if I ask

Comment

Since I usually had the roof down I never bothered with door locks.

Comment

I normally use it as an everyday car so that means roof up and valuables in it at times so locks that work properly would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
              Well yesterday and today was spent playing with the lock [not all the time] it turns out its the passenger cable from the internal release to the lock that is sticking! I have freed it off but and it works ok but I would like a new one as I suspect the real issue is the cable isnt long enough and cant be secured properly to the door to give a smoother run.
              So the question is is this cable off a sierra if so it would be nice to know where I can get a new one from I suspect Mr Ford is going to fall over laughing at me if I ask
              From memory, I believe the rear door cable of a Sierra saloon is required as it is longer than the front door.
              You could try looking on ebay for someone breaking Sierras?

Comment

Peter
                I may have spare cable . Will check my spares in garage. Any idea of length needed?
                Regards
                Alan

Comment

If you're feeling flush you can always try:

2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I will have a measure today Alan, just going to Tax it online then go clean it. I was all over ebay yesterday looking for one but as yet nowt found

Comment

Found them ! Complete with the internal release. Length of the cable is approx. 30inches from the pivot pin on the internal release to cable end. Hope that helps.
                      Regards Alan.

Comment

Dunno how you do that, things disappear in my shed/stores - or else the brain's recollection dims !

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                          Peter
                          I may have spare cable . Will check my spares in garage. Any idea of length needed?
                          Regards
                          Alan
                          Hi Alan after careful measuring it would seen to be 24 inches this is the outer cable [I roughly measured it as I didnt want to disturb it as it still works just] so as I was saying I think mine is to short which would seem to be the cause of the problem!
                          Last edited by peterboat; 05-05-17, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                            Found them ! Complete with the internal release. Length of the cable is approx. 30inches from the pivot pin on the internal release to cable end. Hope that helps.
                            Regards Alan.
                            Hi Alan we are down to Mercia Marina on Sunday so perhaps I could force money in your hand for cable?

Comment

Hi Peter
                              What time are you planning on being there ? As it's just up the road from us I could meet you there .

Comment

Working...
                              X