Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me.. or do all Marlin restorers go through this...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me.. or do all Marlin restorers go through this...?

When a car sits for 8yrs without moving, you expect some problems when taking on a restoration...

First up the Starter motor was dead, bought replacement, didn't fit, sent it back, bought another, it also didn't fit, decided on getting the original one refurbished..

Next up the Ignition key switch wouldn't power to the Solenoid.. bought a flick switch & wired it in.

Then the Fiat TC 2.0 wouldn't start... eventually traced it to the HT leads & a duff spark plug, replaced them all...

Brakes... master cylinder needed refurbished, sent it off... when back fitted, the rear flexy pipe was duff so bought new one & fitted that. Then one of the rear brake pistons was leaking, bought 2 new ones & shoes & fitted them. With the new shoes... came the handbrake cable adjustment problem; have (yet) to remove the prop shaft to get at the whole mechanism to adjust by 1/2", work in progress..

Then the wipers & squirters stopped working.. bought new switches & rewired them to work.

Then... when I thought it was all finally good... The front nearside calliper piston has seized & I am in the midst of overhauling it, awaiting a new seal kit...

By the time I finally get everything fixed and in good order.. summer will be mostly over

Does this happen to everyone?!

Re: Is it just me.. or do all Marlin restorers go through this...?

Yep - mostly !

Comment

Yeah, missed 3 summers. Throw in an engine rebuild and I'm up there with you.
      Stumbling around in the dark
      Marina based SWB roadster
      Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Yep. This year mine's on stands waiting for the gearbox to be refurbished. Last year it was fitting the type 9 and the year before that it was the fuel tank. All ways seems to be when the weather is at its best!
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Get used to it..!
          Fuel pump, broken tie rod, bent suspension arm, clutch slave, rear wheel bearings, rear brake cylinder, broken crank sensor plug, cam belt jumped a notch, cracked oil pump housing, defective fuel gauge...the main issues from the last 2-3 years...most fixed apart from the latter. I blame the MOT because every year I dutifully toddle along and get the ticket and days later something goes bang (or doesn't when it should)...then "it" spends most of the summer idle while try to find the will & time to fix what broke & then before I know it the tax runs out.
          I wouldn't mind the problems if I got time to drive the bloody thing...all part and parcel of classic car ownership I guess
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I guess there are type who enjoy the mechanics more than the driving, visa versa and 50/50. I am the latter so these broken bits can be a positive

I am lucky after 1.5 years of start and use without issue. Having now said that the law of sod should ensure my other 50% is satisfied

If the good luck keeps up I will have to start tinkering and that should open up some opportunities!!

Comment

Using the car all year round helps as it keeps all of the moving parts... well moving ;-)

When I used to parknow it up over winter I'd always have problems with brakes siezing and starting and, and, and....

Comment

I just spent two solid weeks putting my Cabrio back together - the weather was beautiful, and the Rio Olympics were on - so I missed both, in order to meet the Tatton Park show deadline.

And what did it do then?............. of course it hissed down with rain!

Comment

It'll get better again, there were some nice bright days last winter, just wrap up warm :-)

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                    It'll get better again, there were some nice bright days last winter, just wrap up warm :-)
                    I might not need to... I forgot to add that the heater appears to be stuck 'on'

Comment

Yep! Me too! Thought that fitting the new clutch master cylinder was the last job for this year. If only! Started replacing a rear wheel bearing 3 weeks ago. Plus the CV joints that I bought 2 years ago. Which meant removing the rear exhaust silencers.

Then decided to scrape and paint everything while it was off. Then remembered the return fuel hose needed doing. Waxoyled under the rear body all the fiddly bits I couldn’t face painting. Then remembered that the diff oil level needed checking while the exhausts were off. Then added more shims to final fix the rear camber and toe.

That’s finally all back together today but during all that I found that the N/S/F coil over was leaking big time! So now that job (and the ever present kit car problem of identifying the correct replacement parts) has replaced the pleasure of being able to actually drive it again. That said with the crazy nonsense on the roads down here with holiday traffic seemingly hell bent on destruction I don’t think I have actually been missing anything.

But would I want a car that didn’t need anything doing to it? Nah! Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by element View Post
                        When a car sits for 8yrs without moving, you expect some problems when taking on a restoration...

First up the Starter motor was dead, bought replacement, didn't fit, sent it back, bought another, it also didn't fit, decided on getting the original one refurbished..

Next up the Ignition key switch wouldn't power to the Solenoid.. bought a flick switch & wired it in.

Then the Fiat TC 2.0 wouldn't start... eventually traced it to the HT leads & a duff spark plug, replaced them all...

Brakes... master cylinder needed refurbished, sent it off... when back fitted, the rear flexy pipe was duff so bought new one & fitted that. Then one of the rear brake pistons was leaking, bought 2 new ones & shoes & fitted them. With the new shoes... came the handbrake cable adjustment problem; have (yet) to remove the prop shaft to get at the whole mechanism to adjust by 1/2", work in progress..

Then the wipers & squirters stopped working.. bought new switches & rewired them to work.

Then... when I thought it was all finally good... The front nearside calliper piston has seized & I am in the midst of overhauling it, awaiting a new seal kit...

By the time I finally get everything fixed and in good order.. summer will be mostly over

Does this happen to everyone?!
                        Almost a carbon copy of the last year or so with my car...
                        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I guess I,m lucky.
                          I did all that LAST year ...seats, dashboard, wiring, lights, wipers, carb, brakes et al.
                          THIS year I,ve out lots!

Comment

Judy & I traveled over 6,000 miles last year in my Herald 1300cc based Roadster, even though the clutch would slip slightly on steep hills. As I did not feel well over the Winter and Spring nothing was started. Clutch changed 15,000 miles ago, so it must be either engine crankshaft seal or front gearbox seal. I know this is not everybody's solution but a Hunter appeared for sale in the local paper. I know Ben calls it a "Tarts" car, but "her indoors" appreciates the extra room, the fact the hood can be put up when we are sitting in the car and the comfort [heater that blasts hot air everywhere] !!!! It is surprising what a difference 10" makes !!!! I am talking about the width.

Picture taken last Sunday at Weston Super Mare Pier when 3 members from our local club supported "Pier Pressure", 2 Beach Buggies who visited every pier in the country over 9 days, covering over 2,500 miles, raising money for Breast Cancer. At Wsm there were 9 Beach Buggies and a Westfield, Robin Hood and my Marlin Hunter. David
                            Attached Files

Comment

Jayne and myself love out Hunter it is a lovely car the 2.3 engine pulls like a train, it crashes a bit over bumps so I will look at softer springing this winter. I like the fact that it is very comfy with great heater and a hood that works just wish it was the LWB version but beggars cant be choosers

Comment

Working...
                              X