Overheating, just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating, just a thought

I remember a long time ago when I had a radiator rebuilt, the company asked if I had flushed the radiator etc.
    I had using Holts Radflush, but nothing appeared to change.
    I wrote a long article about overheating Roadsters but didn't include the following idea.
    Drop a dishwasher tablet, or some Calgon in the radiator. Not such a mad idea because a car runs at a much higher temp than a dishwasher or washing machine.

Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 28-08-16, 03:45 PM.

Re: Overheating, just a thought

I used to (and still do for that matter) flush entire coolant cirquits in cars with a citric acid solution, and soda works just as well.

Comment

Has anyone tried the waterless coolant?
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

a neighbour with a Delaney delta uses it, he had overheating probs previously with water based coolant, it almost made him cry when he discovered some small leaks with the waterless, he said a fortune was escaping before his eyes! ; - D)
        he has improved the forced cooling recently with the installation of 2 x 9" sucker fans, but they rarely/never operate!

Comment

Originally posted by marlintom View Post
          I used to (and still do for that matter) flush entire coolant cirquits in cars with a citric acid solution, and soda works just as well.
          Citric acid is the basic component of Holts Rad Flush. The Soda may make it a little more aggressive.

Calgon, intended to remove limescale specifically in your dishwasher or washing machine, should have some effect, but using the lemon fresh version adds the citric acid?

more reading on household products here

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            Has anyone tried the waterless coolant?
            It has been mentioned on this forum before, but I don't think any conclusions were made.
            But, my way of thinking says that if your cooling system is not already working at its best, using a product with a higher boiling point may not be the best idea anyway.
            I would also wonder how you would remove all the water from your cooling system to start with, there will be residual amounts trapped in hoses and heater matrix as well as in the block and head. So it might be more appropriate on a totally rebuilt vehicle, but even then hidden buildup of calcium deposits would not necessarily be removed unless some stronger cleaning agent were used. Of course once an engine has been disassembled, there is not an issue with dissimilar metals or gasket materials.

Having said that I am looking at purchasing a Rotax engine powered vehicle, apparently Evans Waterless Coolant is recommended, but I would have thought that the cooling system would have been designed for that purpose. I need to do some more investigation.

Comment

my chum had rebuilt to a certain extent the engine block, head, rad cleaned etc so it should have virtually virginal?

Comment

There is a prep solution that you run in the system for a while to absorb the residual water.

For something cheaper some of the guys on pistonheads have had good results with water wetter which does not require a Warter free system in the first place.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

There is a prep solution that you run in the system for a while to absorb the residual water.

For something cheaper some of the guys on pistonheads have had good results with water wetter which does not require a Warter free system in the first place.
                  I tried water wetter in my V8 system and it made no difference to cooling at all. I subsequently read that modern antifreezes contain some of this anyway so a waste of money. Hence my eventual cure making the extra rad setup as per Pitstop article. Peter.

Comment

As as far as I am aware Water Wetter, unsurprisingly, does contain the same basic constituents as antifreeze. I believe the only other major chemical constituent is designed to reduce cavitation, or smaller bubbles when the water boils, the idea being that the large bubbles do not carry heat away, but liquid does. It must be a very local effect, probably furthest away, in terms of flow, from the 'cold' radiator.

I am a little sceptical that it has a significant effect as if the water is boiling you already have an overheating engine, the pressurised radiator cap raising the boiling point of the water significantly from 100°C.

These sorts of ideas seem to emanate from the Motorsport or high performance market, where small differences can be the gap between first and second place, not really significant for the average motorist, nitrogen filled tyres for example, road tyre design is significantly different and they operate under very different parameters to a race tyre so the benefits gained will be marginal.

Comment

A little investigation on the subject of cavitation and leakage, all be it on a Rotax engine with Evans Waterless Coolant, comes up with this.
                      It seems to suggest that leakage is an acceptable issue. But this is specifically in reference to a Rotax aero engine! Not sure if I would be happy to do a flight inspection, find a coolant leak, and then pass the aircraft as safe for flight. I would hate to be responsible if there was an inflight shutdown. It's time to refer to a higher (sic) authority.
                      It's difficult to top up the coolant at 5000ft.

Andyf raised the subject of a Prep Fluid, there is indeed one for Evans, something I was not aware of, but the article still finishes on comments on leakage.

I am struggling to see the benefits at the moment.

But all this deviates from my original proposition and the use of domestic products like Calgon and dishwasher tablets to remove hidden limescale from an overheating road engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X