Battery position,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery position,

Just wondering if anyone has put the battery in the 'boot' area on a roadster ?? any advice appreciated !!

Re: Battery position,

Any particular reason for this? why not in the engine bay?
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

I had a battery in the boot in my TR7 V8, fine as long as battery and cables are in good nick.

I would imagine placing the cables would be difficult unless running them through the transmission tunnel.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

This seemed to work on YTB. The already owned battery was too big to go under the bonnet, base of battery clamped to boot floor.
        Cable ran down passenger side as I thought it would be a bit tight (fraught?) inside the tunnel.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          This seemed to work on YTB. The already owned battery was too big to go under the bonnet, base of battery clamped to boot floor.
          Cable ran down passenger side as I thought it would be a bit tight (fraught?) inside the tunnel.
          Have you tried this option

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post
            Any particular reason for this? why not in the engine bay?
            The problem I have is that my Marlin is fitted with an Alfa engine and box and a bulkhead for the Marina which puts the engine too far forward and the carbs are tight up against the side panel and the gearbox lever is too far forward.. This is a common problem for Alfa engined cars.. When I built the first Alfa engined car - before the factory demonstrator - as the factory did not know the sizes of the engine they supplied it with a triumph bulkhead which is shorter and has a a large centre cut out. But there is no room for a battery - my old Marlin had the battery in a box fitted under the nearside front wing bolted to the chassis..

Comment

I have a hybrid, which I'm assuming has the Triumph bulkhead, and my battery is in the centre, above the bell housing on a tray. You can just see it behind the engine here.
              Attached Files
              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

enclosed pics
                Attached Files

Comment

Hiya do you have a glove compartment?

If not then get another windscreen wiper motor, fit it behind the dash thus freeing up the space for a bike battery as per my link below.

Adrian

Comment

A lot of the tials Marlins, including mine have the battery at the very back inside the spare wheel carrier/toolbox arrangement. This improves weight distribution for trials but not necessarily for the road. The cables need to be reasonably substantial and run out of harms way. There is a bit of voltage drop which can make starting with a weedy battery difficult

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                      Hiya do you have a glove compartment?

If not then get another windscreen wiper motor, fit it behind the dash thus freeing up the space for a bike battery as per my link below.

Adrian
                      Thanks for the info Adrian - have a bare chassis to start from so any advice appreciated - once the engine and box are fitted correctly can build up the rest of the car - will alter the bulkhead to the triumph spec and fit all the electrics using an american hotrod system onto the inside of the bulkhead passenger side so the engine bay will be nice and clear !!!

Comment

I have mine in the boot space alongside a custom made fuel tank hence the space for one there ant then a board over both to form a small storage space behind the seats, this is only as the car is principally a trials cars and the need for getting as much weight away from the front is paramount and i am happy to make very regular fuel stops !!

Comment

Working...
                        X